What have you had break on the trail??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i blew my front passenger CV joint while at moab for the national rally. i wrote a small blurb on Texas Rovers Site about our trip.

http://www.texasrovers.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?22159.10

it occurred while trying to climb a steep narrow ledge. wheels were straight. truck was in new off-road height (J-rods). punched the gas to try and bump myself over, and it just snapped. not sure how much was related to driver error or limitations of the system. i discovered how hard it can be to locate a replacement axle and how unfamiliar the LR community is with repairing LR3s. it was all a bit of a pain, but i am now back safely in texas and a little bit wiser.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH! Is this a harbinger of things to come for all of us running the rod-mod? I guess with or without the rod-mod installed the LR3 may've been in Extended Height though. That's the thing....it still works within the limits of the system, unless your J-Rods are really short. How much are they shortened?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...what was your set up when this happened? TR mode, gear, HD rig/non-HD rig?

...sorry that happened to you. I read your entire write-up; sounds like it was an awesome trip despite that mis-hap! ...too bad Lion's Back is closed. I will always wonder if I'd muster up the courage to do it!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice trip report. Do post up when you have some more video. Sorry to hear about your break and that you missed out on a couple days of moab fun. It's an awesome place!

Lions back is more intimidating that it is technical. Probably a good idea that it's closed, but I don't see any reason an LR3 couldn't do it. I have not done it, but have seen it and compared it to other obstacles that are just as steep.

J.D.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...an LR3 has done it. So has a RRS. It looks like your assessment is true...requires more balls than brains.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...an LR3 has done it. So has a RRS. It looks like your assessment is true...requires more balls than skill.

Fixed it for you, and yes, it's been done:
http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Land-Rover/Off-Roading/Moab-LR-National-Rally-Day-5/

100144745_mgVN5-XL-3.jpg

100144873_iG5Vp-XL-3.jpg

100145583_7pwRE-XL-3.jpg

100148039_rVhPb-XL-3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink