What is the average lifespan of an LR3 alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have replaced your alternator - at what mileage did it fail?

I have a whirling noise coming out of the front of the engine at start-up on cold mornings. Sounds like an electric mixer. It's probably a pulley, tensioner, water pump or alternator on the way out.

At nearly 90K miles, my thought is to do it all at once - pulleys, tensioners, belts, hoses, water pump, thermostat and new coolant. Not sure if I should replace the alternator as well.

We have some long trips planned for the summer and I figure most of these items are getting worn out and could leave us stranded if they fail.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am all about preventive maintenance, but I don't think I've ever had an alternator fail at that mileage. I can't speak specifically to the LR3, but I've had 212k miles on an Accord w/no alt failures, 181k miles on an A4 where it just now had a failure, and 85k and 101k miles on two LRs with no alt failures. I believe the most common part to wear out is simply the brushes or the regulator which fails. I would be more concerned about the water pump (but again... don't know the failure rate on these) and the tensioner.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
103,000. If my experience is any indicator, you have about 2-3 weeks from whine to Christmas tree of faults.
I think the alternator was about $190. Get it tested, or whatever but replace sooner rather than later.

Slumpbuster

Reaction score
Mine started the whine and lasted less than 10 minutes until I got a low power warning on my radio. I fortunately knew what was happening and drove it directly across town to the dealer. It failed at 62,000 miles but was covered by my extended warranty.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, for $200 I'm going to replace it now. It will reduce my chances of sitting stranded on the shoulder of I-95 on a hot summer day with the wife, kids & dog.

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went out at 92k. Had the whine at first start up in the morning. Would go away after warm up. Did this for about 2 months before crapping out. New one was $700.00 installed at dealer.

Spooky704

Reaction score
Take the belt off.Run engine a few seconds.This will show problem,whether pulley,centre bearing or alternator.Probably alternator bearings.Good luck,Spooky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mzrocstock

Reaction score
QUICK QUESTION- So if "Low Power" pops up on the radio screen that means the alternator is on it's way of going out? Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72