What is the average lifespan of an LR3 alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, for $200 I'm going to replace it now. It will reduce my chances of sitting stranded on the shoulder of I-95 on a hot summer day with the wife, kids & dog.

Where did you managed to buy a alternator for 200 bucks ?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was referencing my post. I think mine came from Autozone.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could not have been an OEM Denso alternator, could it ?
I am still on original at 163 000 miles.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's not OEM. But it seems to be 'alternating', we'll see for how long!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not buy it yet and just referenced the cost posted in this thread. Let me change my statement to: Any alternator cost under $500 is better than the towing/repair/rental car costs & aggravation if it fails on a long family trip.

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine at 101k miles.
Grinding noise started four weeks ago. No faults.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was recent around 95k, seems pretty consistent. Around $600 installed I think I paid.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have managed to go 147k so far on the original. The A/C does whine though, sounds kind of growly. If you are diagnosing a whine, turn that off as well to be sure that is not the problem.

I recently switch permanently off Interstate batteries to a Deka 9A94 AGM battery after my 5th battery. I am quite tickled with it so far. It also doesn't drive the running voltage to high.

When you do your belts, it is well worthwhile doing the tensionors as well.

I would be curious, you guys that are replacing it, for 200 to 600 what LR part numbers, and aftermarket ones you are using. I would guess that the low price is a reman one... not that it matters so long as you've got a warranty with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99