What tools and parts to carry on long road trips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my 2007 LR3 couple of months ago and have been loving every moment of it. I have been doing a few sorter road trips but after reading forums of others' experiences, I always have anxiety of the next xmas light on my dashboard.

What tools and parts do you recommend I always carry for longer road trips? Reading from these forums, this is what I have so far:

IIDTool: Any place I can get a used one instead of spending $500 at LuckyLLC?
Brake Light
Star screw driver
Battery jump start

Any other things I should consider stocking up on?

Also, I have never performed any car repairs but very interested in learning it as I love my LR3 and am thinking it should be fun doing minor repairs (such as changing brake lights). How do you recommend I learn such repairs? From YouTube videos? or requesting my mechanic to watch over their shoulders?

Thanks

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an extensive write up and list with pictures. Drop me a pm w/e-mail and I'll send you the link, seeing as you can't upload more than a 20k picture here or post a link. The entire kit w/tools fits in a small hard plastic storage box.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to second TLT's write-up. Extensive! Very well organized and done with an eye to situational dependent. Basic is what you can handle, emergency food and water rations, first aid, and communications and a communications plan. Most places - unless you're going off road - are mobile phone accessible. But if you're going off road read up TLT's piece on the Disco3 co.uk site.

I carry a shovel, axe, saw, emergency first aid kit, screwdrivers and such, jumper cables, and a tow ******** most occasions. I also have a solid cell phone but have considered a CB or HAM radio. But check out the Upgrades thread, first page of this site under LR3's, and it will give you some really good ideas too.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment... if you are interested in the CB or HAM you can check my gallery there as well, there is a ton of stuff on the HAM, Solar, Dual Battery, Fridge and other sections to give you ideas of your own.

I also do the shovel, emergency / survival axe, fire extinguisher, recovery tool bag, and the usual first aid kits, survival gear, food, water filter, etc.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd carry an extra brake switch. Other than that for longer trips tool wise I bring a 1/2 drive metric socket set (always carry a 3/8" set in the back), screwdrivers, pliers, breaker bar, cordless impact, sledge hammer, zip ties and then if it's an offroad trip, straps, D rings, shovels, axe, saws and the Jeep with the Warn winch on it (lol). :D

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an extensive write up and list with pictures. Drop me a pm w/e-mail and I'll send you the link, seeing as you can't upload more than a 20k picture here or post a link. The entire kit w/tools fits in a small hard plastic storage box.

People post links all the time.... do you mean you aren't supposed to ? Rules?

I'd like to see the list.

Does it have "better way to lift vehicle than OEM jack" ?

Dudes, me included, seem to gravitate toward a High-Lift....before thinking it through ;) While they can be useful in many ways if used correctly, they are very bulky, heavy, and not as easy to use for basic tire changing unless the vehicle is also prepped with good interface points.

I actually found by accident on a trip with some stuff that it was nice to have one of the aluminum rolling floor jacks usually bought for low sitting cars. It has plenty of height, load capacity and is easy and safe to use. It also fits right into the footwell behind either front seat and the handle is a 2 section quick link design. It can be placed right under the control arm and safely raised by the long solid arm and the base is stable on lots of surfaces.

What do you think?

However, on trips, my Bushranger-X jack (air bag) is always in the floor with the other recovery gear ;)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean intentionally blocking the URL of other sites, and severely limiting the size of file uploads.

The high lift could be a handy gadget, also quite dangerous if you are not careful. I did add a air lift bladder jack.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean intentionally blocking the URL of other sites, and severely limiting the size of file uploads.

The high lift could be a handy gadget, also quite dangerous if you are not careful. I did add a air lift bladder jack.

Ah, that makes sense about the forum interface.

The last time I needed to use the high lift wasn't even on the vehicle. I was towing a tandem low rider haulmark from NC to WA totally loaded (7800 lbs or so on the CAT scales) and came upon a full size tire and wheel on the interstate amongst traffic. I was in the left of 2 lanes, object on the right of my lane. Impossible to avoid without taking out another car or putting my trailer in the grass ditch out of control so missed with rover but nailed it with right trailer wheels....took out both tires on that one side. What a fun afternoon :(

Having a low rider means when both tires are flattened, there's no room for a rover jack and I didn't have a low profile floor jack with me. The highlift though tucked under the rear edge and brought the whole side up no problem.

I later realized I could've used my wheel chock-tracs to pull one wheel onto, then change one tire, then pull onto again for other tire.

I've only needed the high lift off road when I didn't have a more appropriate alternative. I think the wheel lift adapter is VERY handy though to lift a sunk wheel, allowing placement of earth, rocks, or a ramp under it to then move off again.

A high lift could also be used to level a vehicle for roof camping. I DO like tools that have multiple uses.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to mention an electronic code reader, like the IID.
What is the best one to get and where from? Looking at the British Atlantic site there's a bunch of code reader tools, books, manuals, etc. etc.
What's realistically the right tool for the average user/off-roader/some home repair work user?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635