What's most likely causing this brake noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIXED...What's most likely causing this brake noise?

It's only coming from 1 wheel, the driver's rear. It only happen under braking, the noise changes at different speeds but gets more pronounced as I come to a stop. It's not the epb, because I removed the shoes. At higher speeds it's a high pitched whistle that will continue until I get below maybe 25 mph, then it turns in to more of a creaking sound. the rotor might be a little warped because the noise isn't in turn with the constant revolution of the wheel itself.

I've looked for damaged pads or metal-on-metal from the pad retainer clips, but I can't see anything that would indicate the pad is the cause, but the noise only happens under braking conditions-just forward, not reverse.

Could it be something other than the brakes,?

I'll try and post a video of the noise.

As always thanks in advance.

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this link appears to be a lady gaga video with a few other strange films..is it just me?

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check for stones, if there are none and your pads still look good I would pop them out and check the movement of the brake pins and then lube and apply anti squeal to that set of pads. I only got 10K out of my rear brakes so you may just be due though your sensor should have told you that. Pep boys stocks lifetime pads for the rear for $40. I've had good luck with them.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no stones. I've had that wheel off and the pads too. Nothing stands out as being odd or out of place. I cannot find and rub spots on the rotor or any place else. It's truly weird. Is it possible the CV joint could be making the noise? I don't notice the noise under any other condition than braking.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buckeye: My problem was very similiar. Did everything you mentioned however, my noise would kick in even when I am not braking nor will braking stop it. It was the worse when I would start from a dead stop. However, I decided to break my routine by using my gas as the parking brake release instead of the lever. And after a few times..the sound went away... weirrrrrd...

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buckeye: My problem was very similiar. Did everything you mentioned however, my noise would kick in even when I am not braking nor will braking stop it. It was the worse when I would start from a dead stop. However, I decided to break my routine by using my gas as the parking brake release instead of the lever. And after a few times..the sound went away... weirrrrrd...

Yeah man, I couldn't even guess what that might be. This is really frustrating.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it could be a cv or drive shaft u joint but I would expect the noise to happen under load then not while braking. Did you check the dust shield on the brake to make sure it isn't bent against the rotor?

kincock

Reaction score
I would check for stones, if there are none and your pads still look good I would pop them out and check the movement of the brake pins and then lube and apply anti squeal to that set of pads. I only got 10K out of my rear brakes so you may just be due though your sensor should have told you that. Pep boys stocks lifetime pads for the rear for $40. I've had good luck with them.

Is Pep Boys a decent place to get your LR3 brakes done?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9