Wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm thinking it's time to work on the wheel bearings. I know there's a special socket I need to buy. I should also probably get new bearings too right? Parts America has some cheap bearings, so I figure it would be best to probably go ahead and put in all new bearings while I'm at it. Also, since I'm going to be jacking the car up and everything, while I'm at it, would it be a good time to replace the pads and rotors? Seems like it would since it's all the same general vicinity. The bearing job doesn't look like "fun." I found a link to a page that shows you how to do it on a Disco 1... does anyone know of any other good sites that show you how to do them? If it's too complicated I might take it to a mechanic but I would really like to learn how to do it myself, since I've done all the other maintenance on it so far.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the milage and how it has been taken care of you may not need to change the bearings.

My D1 has close to 130k on it with the original bearings, I just make sure I grease them when ever work is done in that area.

In order to get to the inner bearings you will have to remove the brakes, so if they do need changed, now is the time to do it.

Rover brakes generally will not last more than 30 - 40 thousand miles unless you live where you are not in stop and go traffic and it also depends on how often you hard brake to stops. (if you do a lot of rabbit starts and stops they may not last 25k)

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright cool. Maybe for now I'll just plan on greasing the current bearings and also replacing the rotors and pads as well. Will I need a hub seal kit for each wheel? On Rovers North someone said they always needed to replace the hub seals when they took off the rotors. I was just wondering if this was true or if they're just trying to sell more hub seal kits.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5565-hub-seal-kit-93-onward-rr-defender-discovery.aspx

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I always replace seals or gaskets... once in a while in a pinch you can get away with it.... but if you mess one up and don't have a spare you not going to be driving anywhere.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, Good advice... wouldn't hurt to order them just in case... It'll only be $30 for all 4 and I have to buy that hub tool from roversnorth anyways.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey, what is involved in greasing the bearings? Is it pretty straight forward or is there something special I need to know or do? It sounds easy enough, but I've never worked on the bearings before on any car. I plan on ordering that hub nut socket as soon as I can and I guess I'll order those hub seals too.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I posted something about greasing bearings the other day. Basically after removing the bearing from the vehicle (still in the little bearing cage) clean them with some parts cleaner (not water) then apply some grease to the bearing and lap it into your palm of your hand, kind of like the motion to grease your palm with money. Once the bearing has been coated thickly, reinstall.

S

Stupidjeep

Just do it all, you might as well replace the rotors and bearings while you are down there. When I did my front end, I bought the brake kit form Atlantic British that came with pads and rotors, seals, washers, and gasket. I bought 4 wheel bearings @ $18 each from Advance Auto, PN A-37 I think, for the better quality BCA bearings. It took longer than I thought to finish, about 6 hours on one side to get it perfect, 1 hour for the other side once I figured it out. You will need a good torque wrench, you don't want to screw up the bearing preload. If you DO get the brake kit, dont try to use the cheapo wheel seals supplied with it. I had to buy new ones b/c the cheap ones folded when I tried to put it all back together. Oh.. be CAREFUL with those little anti-rattle springs, they are fragile. You might want to change the swivel-ball lube while you have the wheels off, I changed mine yesterday at 120K and it was disgusting.

S

Stupidjeep

Just do it all, you might as well replace the rotors and bearings while you are down there. When I did my front end, I bought the brake kit form Atlantic British that came with pads and rotors, seals, washers, and gasket. I bought 4 wheel bearings @ $18 each from Advance Auto, PN A-37 I think, for the better quality BCA bearings. It took longer than I thought to finish, about 6 hours on one side to get it perfect, 1 hour for the other side once I figured it out. You will need a good torque wrench, you don't want to screw up the bearing preload. If you DO get the brake kit, dont try to use the cheapo wheel seals supplied with it. I had to buy new ones b/c the cheap ones folded when I tried to put it all back together. Oh.. be CAREFUL with those little anti-rattle springs, they are fragile. You might want to change the swivel-ball lube while you have the wheels off, I changed mine yesterday at 120K and it was disgusting. Hope that helps, just some of the stuff I figured out when I did mine.

Chris--D1, CB lift and MT/Rs

S

Stupidjeep

I'll post it again if I see anything about a FNG!

Chris--D1, CB lift and MT/Rs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo