wheel shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlrnzo

Reaction score
Hello,
2003 discovery 50k miles
Having difficulty getting a somewhat smooth ride out of my new tires. I hade them installed and had a bad shake. Pull them off and mechanic stated there were some type of aluminium spacer on the front wheels??? not sure about that but in any case it was much better after he 'reworked it" i think his tech just didnt balance right. Anyway over the weekend after a long trip I felt a vibration from the rear, steering wheel was steady. I brought it to a reputable tire shop and he stated all tires were out of balance. Now its better but I have a shimmy back in the steering wheel at about 45 to 50 mph. He says I may have bad tires??? could this be? Could there be anything in the front end that would cause 'balance type' effects in the ride such as a steering wheel shake?
TIA

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad tires or bad balancing job. If it was good before new tires... then those are the only 2 options.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go back to the tire store that mounted your tires and have them inspect and rebalance all 4.

dlrnzo

Reaction score
yea, I had them done twice by two different shops. I am heading back to the original shop to give them another opportunity. I would be interested to know if there could be other potential front end issues which may cause this type of problem. I have always attributed wheel shake to balance. I have need told the vehicle will need front work soon, wondering if its now.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
with 50k on it, it may have a bad stabilizer, but if the you didn't have shake before new tire... well

dlrnzo

Reaction score
So I had all rebalanced. Seemed to be OK but after an 80 mile run, I have a shake back at the 45-50mph zone. I dont believe this is a balance issue as I have had them checked by seprate shops. Is there someing up front which might cause this problem?
TIA!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what wheels do you have on your truck? You mentioned some wheel spacers, do you have larger wheels from another Rover and if so those rings were designed to keep some wheels centered.

dlrnzo

Reaction score
They are 19". I am assuming they are Rover Wheels as they look identical.

SteezTight

Reaction score
Is the steering wheel shaking also? If so it could be your steering damper.

dlrnzo

Reaction score
yes thats the problem, at 45-50 mph I get a wheel shake, in the front and feel it in the steering wheel. Up to 45 and past 50 it seem ok.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo