wheel spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is this the worst thing ever to put on a LR4? It's kind of enticing because I have a set of 18" rims with snow tires. I would only do it for the winter (maybe 4 months), easy driving. I've read some anecdotal stories about them falling off and whatnot. But if they were torqued right, checked, and only used for about 4000 miles a year, what do you think?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just don't be a cheap ass. The Terrafirma are designed for the land rover. Rover wheels are hub centric. Rovers North, Atlantic British, Lucky8.

anyway, why would it only be for the snow wheels? Just leave them on. Better to torque, use, then recheck periodically (after a few highway miles the first time probably) than keep pulling off

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest,
I figured for snow because they won't get as much stress and I'd use for fewer miles each year. Can you even tell they are on? Wondering if they look a little silly. If someone said they look and perform great, then the ideal situation would be to use them in the summer and open up the 18" choices for a good (oversized) tire. And then put 19" snow tires for winter. But I've gathered that the LR community sort of shunned the use of them. Just trying to figure out my options. Although they look great, not sure I want to shell out for the Compos just yet.
From what I've gathered, the only 2 19" tire options available are both stock size and are the Duratrac and the LTZ - both in stock size. Not sure which is 'better'.

This is fun, all this planning and the truck hasn't showed up to my door yet!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go the opposite route on tires/season if I were you and trying to make use of the 19". There are plenty of 19" true winter tires. (Neither you listed are winter tires)

Then for summer, where you may actually want to go offroad and find more ground clearance useful, choose one of the many 18" options.

The spacer ends up putting about as much stress on the system as a wheel with similar final offset so I decided to try them out. My main worry was feeling any sort of steering/wheel vibrations but it's been perfectly fine so far.

I don't make any of these choices first based on looks, but I have to admit, the fender flush BFG look is pretty awesome.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know you use them. Great to hear, I am really glad to hear from someone with actual experience. I think you misunderstood - I was planning on using the 18" in the winter with Nokians or whatever, then put the Duratrac or LTZ on the 19" in the summer. But if they are perfectly OK, I would definitely go with 19's in the winter and 18's and spacers in the summer. What size BFGs do you have? KO2? And why do you use spacers on LR3, for a wider tire?
Thanks for your input!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 18 summer and 19 winter is best plan.

I got the spacers when I was considering using snow chains on a 265/65x18 to gain clearance behind top of front tire at upper control arm. Then I went to slightly larger 275/65x18 which may actually still allow a chain if not too much tight turning on high suspension height.

Anyway, I wanted to try them while I was nearby a lot and then just left them on. They move the tire out nearer the edge but also increasing the track by 60mm total should add a bit of lateral stability too.

One drawback is offroad in any narrow spot, it's now wider. I think the tires stuff up into the fender liners easier tucked in more too because these have the tire outer edge contact the fender liner at the edge while there's still vertical room back in the middle.

Trade offs no matter what you do though!

I had the BFG ko in 265/65x18 which is what fits perfectly without vehicle mods. Bigger requires some work. However, there are places the 14" under differential height allows me to go through where a smaller tire would get tricky. I get this by use of the LLAMS tool but I think the IIDtool could get it there too, just not as reliably as the llams tool "locks" the height in place.

I know there are 19" Nokian for winter in 255/55x19.

vfly172

Reaction score
Jwest, which chains will fit with the 265/65/18 ko2s and 1.25" spacers? Thanks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my 265 60s and spacers and the tires turned I have a thumbs width or less between the tire and the front fender well. Frankly I'm a little surprised that 265/65s work at all with spacers, but people say they do. I would bet (but am not sure) that chains wouldn't fit

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run spacers with my LR3 18" wheels on my LR4. Properly torqued and checked each tire rotation/balance, I have never had an issue. I run E-load General Grabber AT2's that are Snowflake rated so I don't change tires between summer and winter. The tires just work, and very well, in all conditions and do very well on Colorado rocky trails.

With spacers that move the tires out and E load tires (stiffer sidewalls) the truck is more stable both at speed and towing. The 18" wheels and E rated tires are better suited to the role of the LR4.

As far as chains - review http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137254-Help-with-LR3-tire-chains-or-alternatives

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run spacers with my LR3 18" wheels on my LR4. Properly torqued and checked each tire rotation/balance, I have never had an issue. I run E-load General Grabber AT2's that are Snowflake rated so I don't change tires between summer and winter. The tires just work, and very well, in all conditions and do very well on Colorado rocky trails.

With spacers that move the tires out and E load tires (stiffer sidewalls) the truck is more stable both at speed and towing. The 18" wheels and E rated tires are better suited to the role of the LR4.

As far as chains - review http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137254-Help-with-LR3-tire-chains-or-alternatives

Which size do you run in the Grabbers? Any rubbing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9