Where do i connect the idle valve to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

aharbour

Hi
yesterday I noticed a nozzle protruding from the rear of the rocker cover of my 97 discovery (petrol). I would guess that it was the idle valve since when the engine is running it is sucking , and putting my finger over it changed the idle speed of the engine.

I could not see any loose pipes and so could not work out where it should be connected to.

Could someone with a series 1 discovery (gas/patrol) take a picture of the pipe on thiers so i can see where to attach it to. Just to be clear, the nozzle is sticking out on the left rear side of the rocker cover (the thing with the big "4.0" on it.

If you can't post it here, you can email me at [email protected] with it.

Thanks in advance,

AH

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like the breather tube.... rocker panel to the back of the intake. Normally there is a tube between the two....

Cant find a good photo in the manual, and I am 3000 miles from my disco, so I can't take a pic....

A

aharbour

Hi
this is a photo of the nozzle in question - any help (via a photo are detailed description) would be really helpful.

STB_0575.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
There should be a hose that goes between where you circled and to the connector under the two heater hoses... right next to the silver looking covered pipe....

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine I have something stranger.....a juryrigged something or other......a short vinyl tube with a bolt screwed into the end to seal it. I've been wondering what THAT is about, and I'm interested in replies. Thanks for posting the question.

M

Mark

HOSE - VALVE COVER TO RAM HOUSING ERR4258 $9.95 AtlanticBritish
HOSE - VALVE COVER TO PLENUM (UP TO XA) ERR5039 $12.95 AtlanticBritish

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please show on the photo where the other end goes
Also what will this accomplish what differance can i expect/notice ?

M

Mark

Look underneath of the mess to the left of the hose connection for a tube sticking out of the valve cover. It will not be the same size as the other connection. This particular hose has two diameters.
I fixed my (temporarily) by using a 5/8" hose and another hose to fit the exposed connection by slipping one in the other and securing with a hose clamp.

This is supposed to take the gases from the valves and put back into the air intake for burning.

Mine was 'rotten' to the core and would collapse when squeezed.

While you are at it, look on the other side for a 90 degree hose and replace that also. See previous post for part numbers.
I would put an image on with this post but do not know how to post images (yet).

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have somthing similar on the right hand side which i replaced a year or so ago which was tapered one end being a larger diameter than than the other i have check on the left but still cannot find the other end

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo