Where is this Transmission fulid leak coming from?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so if you read my other thread, I was having trouble with a small leak from my transmission pan plug bolt because I forgot to put the washer on when I refilled it. The bolt got stripped so now I'm waiting for another one to arrive that I ordered online, but I just noticed yesterday that there is now a NEW transmission fluid leak coming from the front of the car, right behind the front bumper/spoiler thing. It's on the drivers' side and it seems to be dripping off that steering control arm thingamuhbob. I have no idea where this trans fluid is leaking from. It's definetely red transmission fluid though. I thought it was just a puddle of water, but I check it out and realized it's transmission fluid dripping from somewhere just behind the radiator. How is this possible? Before it was just a slight drip from the pan bolt. I have a bad feeling about this. Seems like a new problem just magically appeared overnight! Any suggestions or guesses? I can post a pic later if that would help.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sucks. Either somebody screwed something up or my car is falling apart.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called atlantic british and he said it could be the power steering or the transmission cooler line... they both are in that area, so I have to clean it and figure out what exactly is leaking. Hopefully is not major. I'm ****** in case you didn't notice.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is normally caused by the cheap (repeat after me CHEAP) hose clamps on the power steering hoses... replace and the leak will go away.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the power stearing also uses tranny fluid.. which is in the front of the vehicle

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so it's probably the power steering hose clamps... where can I get good ones from?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any auto parts store just ask for some 2 inch hose clamps.... they know what they are... about $.50 each IIRC 10 minute fix if you have never done it before.

F

fbrems

If you are lucky, it is only the transmission hose clamp(s), but if your steering pump is not changed (rebuild) by now, most probably that's where the leak is generating. All Disco's are leaking and it is usually the hoses or/and the steering pump if the truck drips left front. To differentiate, just observe the level in the steering pump filling tank which has a max/min level stick on the cap. If refill is required, okay, you are in for some job to take the pump out and get it overhauled.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot okay... I know the power steering had just been done before I bought it, but I think it's low on fluid. It's that little resevoir behind the drivers headlight, right?

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright the wheels are turned, so that might be affecting the level. I get my bolt tomorrow, and I can refill the fluids and see what's going on. I cleaned the dripping from around the area it was dripping and I don't see any new dripping, so maybe it's nothing... I'll check the power steering level tomorrow also. I forgot there even was a power steering resevoir!! Doh!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cummins