Which Land Rover is the most troublefree?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

Evian

Hi
I know this sounds crazy but I am truly interested in buying one but I don't know which to avoid or which to buy. I am looking for recommendations on a particular year and model which you found to be a joy to own. I currently have my eye on a 1993 Range Rover. It looks nice and run nice but I am scared to buy a car without knowing all the facts first. I got bite a couple of months ago with a Porsche 928. I bought it without knowing all the troubles this car was known for. I found out the hard way that the timing chain which was rubber was placed in front of the water pump. Apparently when your water pump goes out it was designed to take out your timing chain which in turn took out your engine. This of course would leave you stone broke. I hope not to repeat history. This is why I ask such silly questions.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say the most trouble free land rover is one that has been properly maintained. Trouble for you could mean more expensive parts, which could mean the Range Rover (yes even the old models are expensive). Both my Range Rover and my Disco were pretty trouble free, but did run into some electrical problems on the Range Rover. Both were great SUV's.

L

LRFamily

We have a 98 Disco with 129k well maintain. Besides the usual stuff that needs to be replaced it has been great. Most Land Rovers that are well maintained should be OK. I'd try to get one under 80k.

P.S. Sometimes this is a hit or miss, but if the person is honest they should let you know any of those Landy gremlins do exist (can be quite a mystery) Best truck we,ve ever owned GOOD LUCK!

N

napotnik

as slam mentioned, a trouble free rover is the one that has been well maintained and continues to be maintained. don't forget that these things aren't your everyday drive 'em and forget 'em vehicles. they require attention. keep a grease gun handy for the Us and always keep your swivels full. what else.. 'if it is not leaking then it is probably out of oil.' buy a rover that doesn't have many electrical parts or controls if you are looking for less to worry about. defender or series.. hoorah!

K

kasperking

I have had my 90 for over 5 years and my Disco for over 3.
On the Disco (129k miles) I have only had to replace what I call "consumables" cat coverter (hole in the flexi bit), rear wheel bearing, clutch (****** bearing gone), shocks (worn & I am replacing them all), oil/filters (in diffs, gear box, transfer box et al) I do this every 6 months.
The story with the 90 (128k Miles) is much the same, just general maintainance every 6 months, except for replacing rubber bushes with poly ones and the J19 engine with a 300TDi I have had no trouble with either on in all these years.
So if possible go for one that has a verifiable service history, and you will be ok.

H

hinchcliffe

Hey Evian, What year 928? I'm on my third and I love 'em. Check out rennlist.com for a 928 forum. The best forum for Porsches on the net.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72