Which Winch???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've searched through a few threads and come across different recommendations.

for those of you with winches, which one are you using? any recommendations and/or thoughts? i've got a new ARB front bumper on order and am debating on biting the bullet and getting a winch at the same time.

(fyi...if anyone is interested in my A frame nudge bar and OEM driving lights, i'll be selling them after the new bumper is on.)

thanks in advance!

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the ARB with the Superwinch EP9.0. I'm very happy with both. NOW is the time to add the winch. You cannot add it without taking the whole bumper back off. Hit Summit or Amazon for the best pricing. Get it shipped for free. I still run the steel cable (2nd one) - even after snapping it on a recovery. I prefer the abrasion resistance even though the cool crowd likes synthetic. That's about the only debate you can have right now - steel or synth? Warn has great winches as well. Don't blow money on T-Max just to save a few bucks.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help. i thought you were running the EP9.0. i've read up on several of your threads. i am really wanting to wait another 6 months before getting the winch, but don't want to deal with the 2 separate installs (not to mention "deinstall" of the bumper). i can get a good deal on a warn M8000 for about $450, but am wondering if the 8000 will be underpowered for the heavy LR3.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Warn M8000 on mine. I have had it for 3 years now and I think I have used it maybe 6 times. Never had any problems with power even on steep inclines or in mud. For more than double the price for the M9000, the M8000 was the logical choice given the amount of usage. If power is ever an issue I can always use a snatchblock.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Superwinch. Indefatigable. Smart gear design, good control unit too.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so superwinch EP 9.0 ($650) over the warn M8000 ($540)?

those are the prices at my local 4 wheel parts. not too much of a price difference. i am just going to have them install the bumper as the majority of my tools are currently in storage. they said they'll install the winch for free. they seemed pretty high on the M8000. it also seems like the fairlead of the superwinch needs to be modified just a bit to fit the ARB design per dave's prior post on LRRF (http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=15582&highlight=superwinch).

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered the superwinch EP 9.0 from amazon for $550 with free 2 day shipping. thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635