"Whirring" sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heypilch

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a 94 Disco w/108k on the clock. It runs good, but I have an intermittent (sp?) "whirring" sound coming from under the hood. If it's been sitting (long enough for it to cool down, for instance), it'll do it at startup. It's coming from under the hood.

If I up the rpms (still in the driveway), the revs will go up & the whirring sound goes away. That made me think that it was maybe a bearing issue somewhere. BUT, it will come back while I'm driving too.

It kinda sounds like the fan, but not really:confused: Could the fan be my culprit?

I've done the screwdriver to the ear thing & it's not the alt (as I've seen suggested elswhere). What do you guys think? This thing just runs/sounds so smooth when it's not happening.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like the fan to me... remember the fan is on a clutch, when you first start it the fan kicks in, then after it warms up a little it will start to slow down, then as it gets hot it will start to kick in again. Odd but this is what I have found with mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635