"Whistle" from center console vent area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an intermittent "whistle" that comes from the center console vent area of my 2005 LR3 SE7. It occurs when the A/C or heat is on.

I can sometimes completely eliminate the symptom by changing fan speed. ["Off" completely eliminates it, and very high or very low sometimes does as well.] The whistle seems dependent on engine speed as well, but the connection is not so clear.

The whistle is not loud, just a really annoying frequency.

The problem is that the whistle is intermittent and the LR dealership can't hear it (they couldn't in August and they couldn't today).

Should I just have the fan replaced or the duct cleaned out? Any thoughts?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's too funny. This just started happening to me almost 4 days ago and has been driving me crazy, it's the exact same problem. I pulled out the cabin air filter and cleaned it off a bit (maybe too much resistance causing the blower to whistle) but it hasn't helped. I'm afraid of taking it to the dealer myself because, as you said, its very intermittent. I notice that it seems to happen the most when it's cold outside and the heater is turned. Please let me know if you figure anything out.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hearing something too, now that I started using the heater. Do you guys hear it back behind the driver's side front tire when you're outside of the vehicle? I could be hearing something different; I don't know if it'd call it a whistle. I only hear it when my fan it blowing on the two highest settings.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beantmt, I don't think my whistling noise is coming from outside. It's coming more from inside the dash (I think in the passenger foot well area next to the blower motor). I can also hear the whistle on various fan settings, although when it's off or at the highest, will go away. I could be driving for 2 hours and not hear anything, or it could start whistling within 15 minutes, something I'm sure the dealer would say "can't be reproduced".

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is inside too, but I will check tonight if there is any outside noise.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dantheman1 -- do you hear the noise only when the radio is ON?

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came last winter was around for 2 days then left haven't heard since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink