why and why not should I buy LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the same 2 vehicles we had narrowed our search down to. The space in the LR4 is much better and was one of the primary reasons we chose the LR4. Since purchasing we are extremely happy not only is the space in the vehicle much better but the off road capabilities are outstanding and it's unbelievably comfortable on long trips. I would probably no longer consider a 4runner after a year and a half with the LR4 even though I know the Toyota would be less expensive to maintain

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the same 2 vehicles we had narrowed our search down to. The space in the LR4 is much better and was one of the primary reasons we chose the LR4. Since purchasing we are extremely happy not only is the space in the vehicle much better but the off road capabilities are outstanding and it's unbelievably comfortable on long trips. I would probably no longer consider a 4runner after a year and a half with the LR4 even though I know the Toyota would be less expensive to maintain
To agree with DonMitsu.... I think many of us *know* the 4Runner is a better choice for various options, but it's so damn boring and completely different than the LR4. I even considered a 2011 Land Cruiser when I was thinking about going back to Land Rover, but even the Land Cruiser is absolutely blah and boring. I HATED the terrain response system on that vehicle, as well as the fit and finish are just far from the LR4.

Even though I know there are more economical, reliable, etc. cars out there, I am staying with the Discovery series long-term - especially if the turbo diesel shows up in the states.

-David

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents-

After spending a few months trying to decide between a 2012 LR4 HSE and a 2012 4Runner Limited, I went with the 4Runner. I thought, for the money I was spending, the 4Runner was a much better value and the "smarter" purchase. After owning the T4R for six months, I think that remains true, BUT I regret not getting the LR4.

One thing I definitely want to point out: the EPA estimates the 4Runner at 17/22 MPG. This has not proven to be the case in my experience. I calculate MPG by hand, and the best I've achieved on the HWY was 19. My average over the past six months is 16.5—about the same as my '08 LR3.

Here are the advantages to each vehicle as I see them:

4Runner
  • History of reliability
  • $10K-$15K cheaper
  • Less expensive to own and maintain
  • Lifetime powertrain warranty
  • Roomier, more comfortable second row seats

LR4
  • Higher quality interior
  • Roomier, more functional third row
  • Better ride quality/driving dynamics
  • V8 (4Runner's only option is V6)
  • Dealership experience
  • Overall luxury

When the diesel LR4's come stateside, I'll have an excuse to make the switch. :biggrin:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main dislikes with the 4Runner (when I was looking last year) was that you cannot get one without a sunroof in CA; hence, I was not even close to fitting. The interior is also very <$30K plastic not so fantastic econocar. I was also looking at a Trail which only comes in cloth, so was factoring in another $2K to add good quality leather after the fact.

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interior is also very <$30K plastic not so fantastic econocar.

I have to agree with you on that. I feel the interior is nice enough, but nowhere near where a $40,000+ vehicle needs to be. I will say, the fit is impeccable. Everything is very solid and well put together—no rattles or squeaks at all.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you on that. I feel the interior is nice enough, but nowhere near where a $40,000+ vehicle needs to be. I will say, the fit is impeccable. Everything is very solid and well put together—no rattles or squeaks at all.

I agree with the fit of the 4runner. I've owned 2 in the past and they made no noises. My LR4 has a little creaking when I rest my right elbow on the center armrest. That said, I still frequent the 4runner forums since I've been a long time member there and some concerning complaints I've heard with the 5th gen 4runners are:

- weak engine
- perceived thin sheet metal used. Hood flexes too much under windy conditions or car wash. That never happened in the previous generations.
- skinny **** 20" wheels(7" wide instead of 7.5") on the limited that don't have many tire options
- plastic, plastic, plastic. Previous generations used soft touch material for dash and panelling.
- KDSS system(great for off roading) is only on trail edition where as xreas(great for cornering) suspension is on the limited
- cosmetic styling issues: no HIDs head lights or LED tail lights. Toyota likes to re-add them for mid-cycle refresh as oppose to giving it it customers off the bat on a redesign(exp: projector lights and LED were standard on 4th gen but taken away for 5th gen redesign).

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bromhead - the pic was taken about halfway up the family cattle ranch - been in the family since 1872. It's a breathtakingly beautiful no income albatross, but there is a lot of emotional & historical attachment. I always thought it would make a great site for Land Rover Experience, but "may" be a little too extreme. I do not think we can rationalize it for much longer......

More pics:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20586582@N07/

Back on topic. I'm sure the KDSS has cured this issue, but on my GX470, a disconcerting characteristic was that if no one tire had traction the truck would not allow any tire to turn - even with VSC off and center diff locked. Hence, you were essentially stuck. The "boards" said to keep the RPMs over 3K, which I did, but it made steep ascents nerve racking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM