why replace rotors often

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading these posts about brakes I am wondering why in the world the rotors have to be replaced so often.

Is it because of the off road use or from just the shear weight of the LR.

If someone can tell me if I wanted to replace pads and rotors on my 2005 LR3 with the same ones that came on the LR from the factory what they would be and where is the best place to order them.

Thanks much…

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to say it is from both. The off road and on road in some instances because of the traction control devices and the way it applies brakes to wheels that are slipping or spinning, and the weight of the vehicle, stopping a vehicle as heavy as the LR3 I would think tends to wear rotors and pads much quicker as opposed to a vehicle that weighs 2/3 of the LR3. Just my opinion, I am by no means an expert and I would think that some of these other guys on here will be a lot more versed on it than me.

As for the brakes, me personaly, if I was going back with OEM and not going to do the work myself I would go to the dealer. Again, just my opinion.

Trevor

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you have to change the rotors so often if you are changing the pads often enough to prevent wear. I changed my rears with something like 10% pad left (maybe it was 20) and did not need to change the rotors...and this was on the advice of the DEALER! ....who changed the pads for about $300.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed my brakes "the sensors had not been activated but close" my rotors were fine. all you have to do is check to see they are still true. put a straight edge against them if still straight and true you should still be able to reuse them mine were fine. I usually swap out rotors every other time unless they are warpped.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put several sets of pads on without changing the rotors. I had 77k on my last RR and they still stopped the thing. Although, to be fair they were pretty grooved. The dealer will advise changing them every time, which is definitely not necessary. Like drz says, just make sure they are true. Atlantic British sells OEM rotors for significantly less $70 each or so.
If money is at all a concern for you and you don't want to do it yourself, buy the parts and have a local mechanic pop 'em on.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my post in the thread just below for the exact measurements, but rotors must meet certain specifications or they get replaced. If not true, if warped or have uneven wear or hot spots, then replace for certain. If too thin, too worn, they won't withstand or handle the heat load well enough to work properly under extreme conditions (you can't predict emergencies), so replace.
Mechanics use micrometers to measure thickness and uniformity of the rotors, you can too. You can often just pad swap, but that only lasts so long. Then, shop around. For reference, at least, this is a great place (I have purchased parts, too, with good result:
www.rockauto.com - google for the free 5% discount codes often available, too, as that discount usually effectively pays for shipping. I used Monroe pads for the first time, being induced by a big rebate, and no problems with our street use.
J

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The surface area on the LR3 rotors is rather small for the weight of vehicle, so they may well wear out faster than you'd like.

With my LR3 up on the lift the other day, wheels off having new tires fitted, I was somewhat amazed at how small the rotor surface area really was!

m5ccie

Reaction score
I would change or resurface the rotors (depending on condition and thickness) if:

a. I change the brake pad manufacturer from what was before on those rotors. The pads always leave a material film on the rotors and using a different pad material will not provide optimal brake performance and will most likely result in sqeeks.

b. If the rotors are not in relatively good condition, meaning they are not smooth or flat, looked scored, distorted, cracked or have other visible damage.

And always remember to properly bed your brakes:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

...and flush/bleed your brakes every 2 years:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm

...and properly torque your lug nuts.

I have no affiliation with Zeckhausen racing...I'm just a big fan.

Jim

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can LR3 rotor be turned? I had an 01 RR and was told that LR rotors can not be turned because they come "min spec" from the manfacturer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM