wierd leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should really swap your carpet and detail the car... mold is a health hazard for which I'm sure they don't want to be liable.

05LR3

Reaction score
Can someone please send me a photo showing where these sunroof drains are located and how to clear them? I was assuming the water was coming from the A-pillar trim. I covered them during a long steady rain storm and my truck was dry. Please help! Send pics to [email protected]

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny this topic just came back up! I have a 2007 LR3 that had the same issue after I ran her thru the touchless car wash last week!. :mad:I had water dripping from under the dash on the passenger side.

I took her to the dealer last Friday and the windscreen cowl had pulled away from the windscreen allowing water to run in behind the firewall and into the passenger side. They also found that the grommets that hold the cowl to the borttem of the windscreen were missing.

The fix! I got a brand new cowl and new grommets under warranty. They tested it thru their car wash and I did the same and the leak is gone!

You may want to have the dealer take a look at the cowll.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=17122

This issue has been discovered and a few of us have fabricated solutions. It will continue to leak until you solve this problem. In the meantime you are taking the risk of damaging the blower motor and allowing moisture near your ECU. It will cause your connectors to start corroding, which will turn your dash into a christmas tree. Its a poor design.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if it has never leaked? If it ain't broke don't fix it? ....or fix it pre-emptively?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the poor design of the HVAC intake, it will eventually happen.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that have had this happen....do you park in a garage or outdoors? I wonder how much exposure to rain is required to invoke this issue. If it doesn't happen right off the bat, why would it EVENTUALLY happen? What changes over time?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conclusion that I have come to with the LR3 is that things must be fixed preemptively. If you hear that a person has a particular problem with their rig, take a thorough look at yours to make sure you are not next. I was able to dodge the bullet in regards to the "rear upper hatch arms" because I read about it in some other forum, took a look at my LR3, saw the arm screws were loose, and secured them with Loc-tite before they completely separated.

I wasn't so fortunate with the whole water leak issue. Though I had read numerous post regarding blocked sunroof drains, I thought it was just a random issue and wouldn't happen to me. A few weeks ago we had some heavy rain. The next day neither key fob would unlock the vehicle. After much online searching, I found the problem to be wiring that had corroded due to water coming in. I had to remove the first and second row seats, pull up the carpet, dry everything out, and re-solder the wiring. It was a HUGE pain in the rear. The sound deadening material under the carpet was soaked like a sponge in many places, and there was even a small pool of water in one of the wiring channels. The wiring looms are held together by some sort of cloth tape which had mold growing on it due to the moisture.

I also took the time to "circumcise" all four drain tube ends. When I removed the front plastic fender arches, a huge clump of dirt and leaves fell down. All of this debris had entered via the opening between the hood and the windshield. My suspicion is that this might have played a significant role in not allowing water to properly drain.

I've learned my lesson. From now on, if I hear of a potential problem, I will check it out ASAP. The next thing on my list is to make sure there is no water ingress from the windshield cowl as mentioned in the above posts.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell pie, I agree with what you're saying and tend to do the same thing. There are no-brainers like the rear hatch that are easy checks and fixes. ...and many common problems are indeed flushed out in this and other forums.

However...I've noted that there are even more uncommon problems discussed here. I've really thought about why that is. I've come to the conclusion that there are just so many variables. So many different operating environments (where people live), operating conditions (how people run their vehicles) and maintenance conditions (how people take care of their vehicles) to assume that one could be next when hearing about problems.

The heavy-hitter, common issues:

1. Bushings
2. Sunroof drains
3. Rear Hatch arms
4. MAF Sensor
5. Suspension compressor (old design? Replaced in 2008?)
6. Steering wheel peeling/curling
7. EPB Actuator
8. Tranny "clunk" (old issue)

Those are things that can be expected. Then you look at things like brakes...which are commonly ******* about on this forum and others. I've gotten an average of 60,000 miles out of my original set and the rotors were fine. That is an example of operating conditions and driving habits causing a huge disparity in component performance. To wit, I drive a reverse commute to work (so not as much stop 'n go) and I use Command Shift a lot, so I stay off the brakes.

Anyhow....I'd like to know how many folks have had this issue with the cowling, and what year their LR3s are. FWIW, I just checked the plastic/rubber seal or fairing or whatever that goes along the bottom of the windshield and it looks perfect. I think this would be a good litmus test for determining if an individual needs to be concerned with this particular issue.

I would imagine parking in the sun would affect the shape of this part...could cause warping 'n such.

Last edited: