Winch bumper options (?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
I have a 96 disco with a brush bar on it but now I want to put a winch on the front. What options are most cost effective while still looking ok for a daily driver?

I like the ARB one piece bumper / bar assembly but can't imagine being able to justify spending that much (~$800 USD +Shipping) on a bumper.

Is there any other manufacturers that make less expensive ones?

I would prefer to purchase it in Canada if possible to save on shipping pain.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shawn

D

discomike

Going to a bumper is not something you do cheaply. A cheap bumper is just that especially when you are winching and the bumper won't take the load. Also, You will have to replace your springs and shocks to handle the additional weight.
Mike J.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
discomike said:
Going to a bumper is not something you do cheaply.

Ok, let me re-phrase it a bit.... How can I add a winch without taking out a bank loan. The new bumper idea was just the easiest way I could think of to mount it. I was also thinking of mounting a forward facing receiver hitch so I could put the winch on the front or back as needed.

Thx
Shawn

D

discomike

You can not mount a hitch to a factory bumper. Yes you can put on a front receivor and they are worthless, very weak, not designed for the abuse a winch will give it, I can go on and on.
Bottom line, why do you want a winch in the first place? Most people who do wheel on trails that require a winch will tell you that you shouldn't be on the trail anyway if you are at stock height, bumpers and tires.
I don't mean to sound negative, I am trying to tell you to think about it. Save up untill you can go to a good bumper, with a lift to handle the extra weight and of course the tires to get you out there and in trouble.
Take care,
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I think Mike is right for the most part, however I have seen some good frame mounted front receivors, and I assume this could work with a trimmed up stock D1 bumper. If you want a winch bumper you should probably just get one from ARB or TJM, or other good make.
Here is my sad take on most add-ons.... once you start, then you really can't stop, and by the time you do, you end up wishing your vehicle was back to the way it was originally, especially if you ever feel like selling it or trading it in. I built up a land cruiser a few years ago, used All-Pro, Downey parts (good quality), bought a winch, etc. I used the winch maybe 3 times.... the truth was that i put so much money into the vehicle it scared me to death to actually put it in a real bad situation.
Before you decide on something I would look at these things:
1) do you want the winch/bumper for looks or actual necessity (both are fine)
2) in order to actually need a winch, you are most likely going to strain the hell out of your vehicle (repairs $$$, (plus add-ons like Mike said))
3) you are likely to spend $3k or more building up your rig, or you could just buy a cheapo used 4x4 to beat up
4) my opinion, but the best upgrade for any 4x4 one can get besides tires, is a limited slip or locker, which requires no other add-ons, it is a single cost, however it isn't shiny and it doesn't impress others unless they see it in action...I admit it though, I like when people look at my vehicle in awe...or used to anyway... but you have a rover, it looks cool no matter what.

Last edited:
D

discomike

Well put, I am curious as to his answer.
My only concern with the receivor hitch mount is the rating on it. Remember looking at the rating on a trailor hitch, usually 350 to 500 pounds tongue weight and no laterial pull, At best they will pull on a straight line basis, the other down fall is the ground clearance is terrible with that sticking out in front of you while on a trail.
Mike J.

Attachments

• silverwoodMikeStand2.jpg
    silverwoodMikeStand2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 111

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
ColeCam said:
Before you decide on something I would look at these things:
1) do you want the winch/bumper for looks or actual necessity (both are fine)
2) in order to actually need a winch, you are most likely going to strain the hell out of your vehicle (repairs $$$, (plus add-ons like Mike said))

I understand what you are saying but gotta say that the assumption that heavy duty 4x4'ing is the only time you should need a winch seems a bit off to me. Mike sounds like he's almost on a rant about it. Most of my off roading is when we go hunting or fishing. We thought a winch would be very helpful to clear fallen trees etc from our path. There is also the chance that I might get stuck when no-one else is around to help so the ability to pull the vehicle is still somewhat important (although it's rare that we get that stuck). Usually a shovel is enough to get us going again.

So, I guess to answer your question... it would be for usage not looks (in fact the more I can hide it the better).

I was hoping to find some alternative bumber manufacturers to look into (competing with the ARB bumpers) so I atleast had something to compare to.

btw: I can't uprate the suspension if it would include a lift of anything over 1/2" as I have to park in an underground parkade and am max'd out on my height.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Shawn

ps: I forgot to mention... thanks for the reminding me about the downside of using a reciever mount. I had forgotten that the sheer load could be a big problem. That one is no longer being considered.

Last edited:

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
What about used ARB bumpers... Do they ever come up for sale? I haven't seen a used one on any of the boards to date.

Thx
S

D

discomike

They are usually listed on some of the Rover web site classified sections.
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that we are all pretty much in agreement...it really comes down to whether or not you would use it enough to justify it which is really only something you can decide. Sam's Off-Road has ARBs for approx. $750 delivered, they are very well known in off-roading (Sam's is a good company). http://www.samsoffroad.com/
They are near the Ramsey winch factory and have crazy cheap winch prices too. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635