Window crack repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nhveedub

I got my inspection sticker Thursday after having to replace the track rod, and 1 mile away from the garage, a rock hit my window and left a 3/4" crater. I was very happy.

Can I get this windshield repaired? Safelite quoted me $65 for a windshield repair over the phone, but I'm unsure they can with the defrost wiring in the window. Has anyone had their windshield repaired who has the defrost option? Does everything still work OK? And as a side note, has anyone had to outright replace a windshield and know the cost? (with the defrost option that is)

Thanks,
Aaron

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What is your comprehensive coverage deductible on you insurance? If low enough, just call them up and have them replace the window.... that is what insurance is for.

I am sure the window fix would work, have them guarantee their work in writing that the defrost will work.

A

avonnied

call around to more places, a lot of places around here are 10$ chip repair, which i believe they just fill it with something to keep it from cracking even more. (although it probably still will crack eventually)

N

nhveedub

Yesterday I used this kit to repair the hole in my windshield. With shipping it was just under $15. The packaging clearly states however, this is for hole or star or crater repair, not crack repair... so keep that in mind. The whole thing takes about 5 hours including waiting time, though the part where you're actually doing stuff takes about 45 minutes.

It works... fairly well. I'd say it filled in and masked about 90% of the damage. It will get me to pass inspection which is all I really care about:) And for $15... who cares!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM