Windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the electrically heated windscreen an OEM-only part? I can't imagine the after market duplicating it. You have this, yes?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's available as aftermarket glass. Looks like I can get an "installed" price of around $720 CAD for the aftermarket stuff in Montreal. I would assume that it could be had cheaper in the US.

Its probably worthwhile to note that certain regions don't allow installation of some of the "cheaper" aftermarket options; I distributor that I know of recently had to move a certain section of their stock from Ontario to Québec (or sell it cheap) before a new law went into affect banning that specific type of glass in Ontario.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get this installed at places other than the dealer, but honestly the price difference from what I've seen isn't that dramatic. If I was still under warranty, I would probably have the dealer perform the work, so that LR records show everything was performed at a dealer. Just my two cents. They can be quite picky about supporting things when they see an aftermarket installation.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I came back from a week-long trip to find the little star in the glass of my windshield now 14 inches long. Jesus. So, I called the dealer and they told me they would love to replace my windshield for me, but they would charge more than it would cost to do it myself. They informed me it was a sub-contract job anyways, and the dealer doesn't even do it. Or at least my dealer doesn't. So I called Geico and they told me they preferred SafeLite. I called SafeLite and they normally would discount the windshield because I have Geico. But because I have a $500 deductible, the price of the windshield really didn't matter.

So, SafeLite is driving out to my car tomorrow to replace my windshield. The total is around $630, which isn't bad I don't think. It took a bit to convince the SafeLite installer I do have the defrost lines, but eventually he conceded.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever replaced their windshield through SafeLite and had good results. I suppose we'll see.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my wind shield in my Durango installed by Safe lite. Installer was a 6/5, but the actually glass had a few imperfections in it.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically there is no deductible on glass insurance (unless you just have basic comp/collision).

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently out of town, so I can't check out the glass, but I'll post when I check it out for any imperfections. As far as the deductible goes, Geico is paying any amount after what the deductible won't cover. In my case, they're paying around $130.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing about the glass, was in full evening sun, there was a small section that looked wavy. Didn't affect visibility, and you had look for it.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's my update. I got back to LR3 today to find out that the install looks great. Defrost lines and rain sensor all installed too. Not only are there no imperfections, but the glass is OEM "Pilkington" too. Overall, very satisfied with my repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635