Wiring up auxiliary lighting on a '00 D2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

GregS

I'm installing auxiliary driving lights on my 2000 D2. I have two nice daylighters I pulled off my Landcruiser years ago that I'm mounting directly to the front bumper (no brush guard). Do I really need to buy the wiring kit from Land Rover? I wouldn't mind taking a peek at the instructions, but I probably have everything else I need lying around. Does the kit have any 'must have' items that make for a easy install? Has anyone made this modification and do you have any suggestions for a clean install? I think I'll try to use one of the blank switch locations on the dash. Thanks for any help....Greg

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a blank for a disco 1 for two hella 4000's. As I recall, the only thing you might need would be some fuses that come with the kit. The rest is pretty straight forward. I'll get back to you if I have any further insight

G

GregS

Thanks for the info...I'll probably give her a try this weekend. Did you come directly from the battery with an in-line fuse to a grounded switch, then to the lights? That's how I wired them on my old Landcruiser.

G

GregS

I've got another question for you Sam. Looking at the picture you included with your post, it looks like your running 16's with a tall tire. Other than buying a set a 16" wheels and mounting new rubber, have you seen anybody running the 18's with different rubber configurations. Stock rubber has a pretty low profile. Seems like the serious off-roaders opt for the 16" wheel setup. I'm not sure you could go much taller on an 18 and still have any wheelwell clearence.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is how I did it. I shouldn't be a big deal. Most guys around town will charge over $200 to install them. It is definitely worth the risk. At least it was for me. . .

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
about the tires

Ohhh. About the tires. I have actually wondered the same thing. Never seen it done, although there must be a way for the 18". Maybe we should start a new thread and someone else can enlighten us . . .

G

GregS

Maybe I'll do that. F.Y.I., BFGoodrich has some "new" sizes offered in their All-Terrain line including a 285/65R18. Worth fishing around to see if anybody has spent the bucks and mounted them on a Disco. Sure would like to see for myself before I spend the dough....see ya Sam

D

discomike

285/65/18 tires

I bet you won't find many who have tried and if they did they are probably trying to save up for 4:11's to off set the the tires. I had to go to gears after installing 265/75/16's. Don't get me wrong bigger tires are neat but we have very little power to give up with our Rovers as it is.
Good luck,
Mike J.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just returned home from Chattanooga Landrover. I took my 2000 DII there for that "light knock" found in my 47K motor...They are replacing it with a new short-block! If you have the "knock", and you are UNDER 50K miles, these folks were incredibly cool and honest. I am jazzed! Now I don't mind spend my saved-up repair money on a winch. Please be happy for me guys!

speedmancool

Reaction score
I just installed a 275/65R18 on my stock 18" wheels. I have a 2" lift, and the tire/wheel combination looks great. The tires are Hankook DynaPro MT, and they have very agressive tread design and sidewall protection, and they look great. I will post a picture as soon as I have one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72