Won't accept fuel from station pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

Laird

99 Discoery will not accept fuel at station pump. Keeps automatically stopping. Tried different pumps and it the Discovery. Thanks for any help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the vent line going to the tank is clogged.

L

Laird

Found the vent hose and was able to blow air through it, still keeps stopping at the pump. If I keep taking the nossle out I can do about 5o cents worth at a time. Do you have any other ideas. Thank so much.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try holding it at a different angle. Sometimes, depending on the gas station, I have a hard time getting the pump to not shut off while pumping. Hold the pump up at a more vertical angle, that seems to work well.

N

NHESS81

try to keep as much heat off of your tank as possible (i.e: dont park or drive with the right rear in the sun for very long before you try to fill up). This is a fairly common problem, the vapors from the heat just get so built up. Happens to me if the 'tank' is hot. When it shuts off, to avoid gas from bein pushed out and onto the side of the truck, take your hand and lift up the rubber gasket on the gas pump handle to let the vapors slowly escape, remove the nozzle, and re-seat it. There is nothing else you can do but avoid heat on the tank. Hope there is some eye candy to watch. I hate the days its bad, and you put in .4 and .2 and .9 of a gallon at once...mmm...15 minute fill ups! weee!

F

fbrems

Could it be a twisted or damaged filling hose? A look under the truck could light up something. I drive my disco contstantly in the Emirates desert and believe me from June to October the temp. is not below 42c. (107F) Filling does not seems to be a problem.

N

NHESS81

...Fbrems...unlikely...it just seems to happen to a few of us, and to us it happens a lot...i even got a new tank and stuff installed under the leaky tank recall, and it barely helped...i think that its just some of the rovers have this lovely little personality trait, and others dont, lol....

J

john65b

Try not putting the pump nozzle all the way in. I insert the nozzle so it is "just in" and it vents properly...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112