Worried 2000 DII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got the oil changed.

I did the compression test again and the #1 (cyl w/ the low reading last time) came back at about 151psi.

The other cyls came back between 162-168psi. So, I guess I'm at least lessening the spread. Whats the most variance a healthy engine would have?

When I pulled the plugs they didn't like they'd been used at all really. A couple had a little bit of dark black on the ceramic and (wow forgot what its called) the back of the thing the spark jumps to.

I've only driven maybe 15 miles on since adding the BG44k.

Thanks for all input so far.

Hello stb616, hope you’re feeling better.

There are actually 2 types of compression tests, Wet and dry. When performing the compression test after a 20 mile trip this would be considered a dry test. If you spray some light penetrating oil in the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole this is considered a wet compression test. Without the 2 test performed on a compression test the results are really misleading.

Why the 2 tests. First the dry test tells you what it is now.
The wet test in conjunction with the dry test data tells you several things. If a wet test bleeds off quickly to the dry test results this is usually a failing part in the combustion chamber more than anything else. If the wet test holds, this is a leading indicator of deposits in the combustion chamber that needs to be cleaned with a cleaner i.e. BG44k cleaner.
A cylinder leak down test tells you what is failing; valve train, rings, head gaskets etc.
Although cylinder #1 is not quite up to par, you’ll probably get several years more service out of her before a rebuild is necessary. I would get a couple of cans of Seafoam and pour this into the cylinders with the plugs out over night. Might want to read this post on how to:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/member.php?u=7487

Here’s where you can get Seafoam:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

You might wat to get another can of BG44K and pour it into your tank, and it should come back to life somewhat, it will help a highly fouled engine.

Best whishes to you over the holidays…. Get well soon….. Chongo

:bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9