Yakima or Thule Luggage Box with LR Crossbars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone using either a Yakima or Thule luggage box with the genuine Land Rover OEM cross-bars for the LR3?

If so, please note which make and model number of luggage box you're using.

Thanks,

Patriot

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh man....with a baby on the way i have to buy one of those ugly ass things for the top of my truck too. :(

i'm interested in Patriot's original question and ANY tips you may have on additional storage options for the LR3. i need to fit in all my toys in addition to the growing arsenal of toddler weaponry that seems to accompany most parents on trips. :)

my main concern is getting something that is easy to take on and off the roof, and easy to store in the garage when it is not on the car. (and a big hand that will come out and slap me if i attempt to drive into the garage with said rooftop anomoly on the vehicle!)

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thule makes a nice box. I have had one and used it on two different SUVs. Easy Attachment you just turn the knobs to tighten these claw like things around the bars.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Thule as well. There were two types in silver model at that time and I chose "narrower" one. It works just fine and not bad looking either. - Brian from DE

DSC09674_jpg.jpg

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Yakima, but I don't have the LR OEM cross bars, but Yakima's cross bars. Yakima quality is absolutely top notch.

roverall

Reaction score
I have a Yakima System which is great. I also have the largest skybox they make(I think the 21). I found out after I bought it that the larger size does not increase the weight capacity. I think it is 150lbs total. But the largest size is great for young kids because it holds strollers, pack and play, toys(ie. large items). I put the light things in the skybox and the smaller things in the back. When the kids get older, I will size down, but for now I am glad I got the largest size.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Thule pylons and cross bars mounted to the factory roof rails. I mount my Hannibal roof rack to the Thule system to allow a quick disconnect/removal of the entire rack.

I also have a Yakima Skybox 2100 (21 cu.ft.) that can clamp to the Thule crossbars to allow protected cargo carrying capacity. The Skybox is very quite on the road and no noticeable effect on mileage. The Hannibal makes a bit more noise and has way more effect on gas mileage.

LR3_hannibal_rack-12.gif

LR3_hannibal_rack-13.gif

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you know that the factory cross bars are made by Thule? I lost my keys and have to get a new set directly from Thule.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any preference w/ Thule or Yakima for the storage boxes?

It seems that both have a quick connect system to our factory bars.

I was looking at an 18 cu ft. box.
The Yakima Skybox is 92"x36"x16"
The Thule Atlantis is 84"x34.5"x17"

Hmmmmm...anyone know if the 92" length interferes with the rear lift gate?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a Thule Evolution 2100 and the Yakima Skybox (both 21 cubic feet). They both fit okay on the LR3, though they do extend forward of the windshield a bit...or at least over the sunroof.

The quality is about the same, I think the Skybox has slightly better locks. The lid on the Thule was lighter, and it was slightly easier to handle when it's not on the truck.

They were both very quiet on the road, the Thule rack mount was a little more secure fore and aft, but the box slid side to side on occassion. The Skybox mounts differently, and requires a bit of tension for good fore and aft clamping, but does not slide side to side at all due to rubberised clamps.

The finish on my skybox is definately a cool looking texture/pattern, and seems slightly more scratch resistant than the silvery Thule I had.

I sold the Thule because it did not fit my wife's Nissan Armada (the distance between the roof cross bars exceeded it's span between the clamps). The Skybox is definately more veratile and can span considerable distances between the clamps. So if you have two vehicles that might possibly use this box, give that some thought. My Thule fit a Mitsu Montero, Volvo V70, and LR3 fine, but only the Skybox fit the Armada.

These are big boxes, but very handy when you need them!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4