2004 Range Rover HSE stuck in low range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiRi98

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2004 range Rover HSE. In the beginning I was getting a code for transmission fail safe program and a code to slow down. There’s also a thump that happens between second and third gear only when you first start the car and it doesn’t do it again until the car is restarted. I initially change the speed sensors and thinking that one speed sensor was so bad I was going to replace another but also had an idea that the neutral safety switch may be an issue. I got a new neutral safety switch and an effort to change out the neutral safety switch I realize it was incorrect neutral safety switch so I replace the original neutral safety switch back into my Range Rover but it was installed incorrectly. When I reinstalled it it turned on, and the dash would say the car was in N when you would shift through the gears. The neutral safety switch was reinstalled again and recalibrated but I didn’t complete the step of switching between high and low range three times, and it is now stuck in low mode and I can’t get it out.
Any help please.
Oh ya and now when the car thumps in the beginning of take off there’s a squeal that comes with it.

Last edited:

Jon_M

Reaction score
Hi - I've got a 2010 hse and had similar problems with my zf6hp. Did you check the shift lever position on the transmission? for the thump and squeal I ended up needing to change the bushings to fix it as they had worn and didn't hold pressure. I replaced seals, steels and frictions while I had it apart.

Regards,
Jon

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV