Camping Trip - Breaking in the RTT + Drawer System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't really know if starting a new thread for this was worthwhile, but thought I would throw up a few pics of this weekends camping trip. I would like this thread to become a place where other members can post up their weekend trips (I haven't seen a thread similar before). The trip was intended to break in our new CVT Mt. Shasta RTT as well some GPS/iPad gadgets and my drawer system I built over the last couple weeks for the LR4. My LR4 isn't used for any ******** off-roading, more of an overlanding and exploring vehicle to get my fiance and I to discreet places in comfort. Everything worked great, just wish the trip lasted longer.

We went down to Sequatchie, TN which is about 30 minutes north of Chattanooga. This is where Coppinger Cove is and there's a lot of good trails all around. Unfortunately, it had rained so much during the week that all of the main gates to the trains were locked because of bad flooding. We're planning to go back down in a few weeks to check it out.

Fueled and ready to go
3E00E51A-E880-4598-BE00-A3188771238D_zpswd8ssbgy.jpg

Downloaded Gaia for my iPad along with a Dual XGPS150, very cool combo. If you are looking for a software app to download, Gaia is very user friendly. Once you signup (free) on their website they have a great User Guide and even email you video tutorials on how to use the app to get the most out of it.
AEF75B47-AA62-441E-B18A-18194DABF97C_zpsixdgwhh2.jpg

Arrived at campsite
534C8E15-B3FA-4338-82FB-B75594F288C6_zpsjhed9cju.jpg

Setup + dog
EAB2D11E-5016-4D72-B205-3D29011F620C_zpsk4xv4k1w.jpg

Last edited:

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met a new friend + an upclose view of the drawers. I'll have to post some more pics of the drawers later (and dimensions and materials used if anyone is interested), but this was really my first project with woodworking. While it's not perfect, I think it turned out pretty dang good.
ABA996CA-FCCF-4882-9977-1B67F1735D7E_zpswzvrxzvj.jpg

Hiking
79A0C733-643B-45B6-891F-C421E8321B39_zpstkef7mne.jpg

1329EBEF-CD1B-4443-9E5E-B0F91AD04944_zpsabehtgcp.jpg

And finally on the way home with the gang
64AABB2E-5B01-4E34-8134-14FF0731478E_zpssieflj4r.jpg

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey that looked like a lot of fun. Took me a couple scrolls til I figured out what CVT and RTT was, but I got it :)
Tire check please, what kind, what size?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip. And a great setup. And she's smiling which is even better!

Roverman, I believe his wheels and tires are in his profile at the end of his posts (285/65R18 Nitto Grapplers on LR3'wheelsmwoth spacers)

Your iPad looks huge next to the puny Nav system screen. Gaia is a great app. You do have a lot going on holding that iPad in place!

How did the drawers work out?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan,
Thanks. I've never noticed it before, but sigs don't show up on my iphone. So next question, it's gotta be 285/60, not 65, right?

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, we had a great time! Caylee was definitely a fan of the roof top tent and enjoyed being up away from the "bears/snakes" haha.

Danrhiggins - The iPad was huge, but I really like the setup. That's a RAM mount I got from Amazon and it worked great.

Roverman - My wheel/tire setup is LR3 10 spoke wheels with Mototech 1.25" wheel spacers and 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers in Load Range E. I didn't really plan on going with such a big tire, but found them for a killer deal ($300) on Craigslist with 75% tread left. I made my own rods and have around a 1.75-2" lift in the front and about 1.5-1.75" lift in the rear. The tires do rub at full lock to lock and rub really bad while in reverse, but is managable. When I put it in extended mode, the rubbing is severely lessoned and actually fit pretty well.

At some point I'd like to swap them out to a 265/70 or a 275/65, but for now they are fine.

BTW - RTT = roof top tent, CVT = Cascadia Vehicle Tents

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Nice set up. Keep sharing. I'm interested in setting mine up with a roof top tent and roof rack. I'm thinking of a Front Runner but am still in the research phase. Is the RTT easily removed for when it's not in use? I don't see a rear ladder so how do you manage it if you do stow it elsewhere when not in use? What kind of roof rack did you install and how do you like it? How did the RTT hold up for warmth, wind, and rain? (If you got exposed any of those that is.) Lastly of course, well done on the fiancée! Pretty girl!

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice set up. Keep sharing. I'm interested in setting mine up with a roof top tent and roof rack. I'm thinking of a Front Runner but am still in the research phase. Is the RTT easily removed for when it's not in use? I don't see a rear ladder so how do you manage it if you do stow it elsewhere when not in use? What kind of roof rack did you install and how do you like it? How did the RTT hold up for warmth, wind, and rain? (If you got exposed any of those that is.) Lastly of course, well done on the fiancée! Pretty girl!

Thanks Forty - I need to get some more pics of the drawers posted up at some point too.

As for the RTT and roof rack, I'm running a Voyager roof rack and a Cascadia Vehicle Tents - Mt. Shasta RTT. It was definitely a pain to get it mounted on the rack, but it's because the Voyager is very low profile and fits close to the roof. It doesn't leave a lot of room to get your hands and arms under there to bolt down the U-bolt brackets. I think a Front Runner would be a lot easier because they sit up a lot higher off the roof than the Voyager, but I do prefer the lower profile look of my setup. I've heard the Front Runner's are very noisy and tend to make some weird noises offroad due to it not being one solid piece/welded like the Voyager or Baja Rack designs.

I don't have a ladder on mine like you noted, the reason being is that I'm 6'7" and can easily reach the roof on my LR4. A ladder wouldn't do you any good anyways I wouldn't think. My fiance and I were able to lift the tent up and onto the LR4 pretty easily and then I bolted it all down. My plan is to keep it up there for the next few months because I don't want to have to unbolt it every time we camp.

One note about the Voyager Low Profile rack I have and some similar racks out there, because the rack actually has sides to it, the RTT was too wide to fit in between them. So I decided to cut off both sides of the tubing to essentially make it a flat rack. This way it made the RTT fit and gave you some room. I'll post pics later of what I did.

Side note: Voyager does make a rack that is for RTT that doesn't have the sides to it. I found my rack on CL a while ago and had to make it work.

Lastly, as for the RTT....it was in the low 40's that night and very windy and it did great. We put a fitted queen sheet over the CVT matress (which is very comfy) and then had a big down blanket and a a big unzipped sleeping bag over us and we were both fine the whole night. I actually got hot at one point, but there are a lot of flaps you can open up for circulation. Also, it handled the wind fine, you just have to make sure you have the overhang staked down and the rain fly fitted snug so it won't flap during the night. Overall I was very happy with it and look forward to seeing how it does it other circumstances.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I answered all your questions.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Good info! Thanks for taking the time to describe everything in such detail. I have no experience at all so capatilizing on yours is valuable to me. I've never heard that about the Front Runners. I guess that's worth considering. Keep sharing your experiences. It's great to read about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM