continental 4x4 contact review tirerack.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we drove through the blizzard of nyc as it was happening. the tires faired very well to me. not a moment did i feel any slide or loss of traction in slush, snow, water, or all of the above. this is while other cars/suvs were sliding and fishtailing around me.

ByGuile

Reaction score
ycharlie I have the same tires and the opposite to report

first snow here and the conti's were very poor

the LR4 traction control was working over-time, so I never felt a "slide or loss of traction", but that was all LR4 and not anything the tires were doing

now with the Nokian Hakka 5's, I have to try hard to make the traction control system engage. It gives me a huge margin of safety.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any opinions about the Contis in the snow? I have season tickets for Mammoth this coming year (mountain opens in a little over a month!!!) and don't want to get stuck or wind up off the road. They get MAJOR snow up there. Will I be ok?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Continental makes a tire worth buying. I hate to replace perfectly good tires but I will replace them as soon as I can justify it and probably go with Pirelli Scorpion ATR since that's our only choice of a 19" AT tire, and we only have one 18" wheel to choose from

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on buying them again, but they came with the truck and only have 5k miles on them, so I don't want to replace them yet unless they are going to be dangerous. Thoughts?

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
conti will prob be tolerable, but not confidence inspiring at all.....i live in the south, so about to go with scorpion atr, but for you i think nokian wrgr2 which is marketed in the us as a all season winter tire would be the best you could get...

Redleg Rover

Reaction score
Living in upstate NY, I found the stock Continentals to be dangerously unacceptable in the winter. With only 1200 miles on them (from summer driving), just after last year's first snow, I replaced them with Scorpion ATRs… and never looked back. The Scorpions are quite sure-footed in the snow, and give a pleasant ride on the interstate. I've also done a small bit of off-roading with them, and they've handled a few Class IV roads in Vermont with ease.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were horrible in the snow/ice we got here in Dallas last year. I was excited to use my snow mode and slipped and slid all over the place while even driving under 10mph. I literally could not even brake without sliding at a stop sign going 10mph...it was ridiculous.

I ended up replacing them this past august with Michelin latitude tour hp, which are the same tires on my wife's suv. Comically, on the initial day that it snowed last year, my wife texted me telling me how great the tires I bought her was as I was slipping and sliding all over the place.

I considered the scorpions too as I do some basic off roaring with our LR club locally but the dealer and discount tires suggested that I would benefit more from the michelins with their more superior on road capabilities(comfort, less noise) and still have the same off road abilities as the OEM contis. That said, the scorpions would be better for harder trails and deeper snow in, my opinion.

Anyway, these michelins have been amazing and a night and day difference compared to the contis.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in upstate NY, I found the stock Continentals to be dangerously unacceptable in the winter. With only 1200 miles on them (from summer driving), just after last year's first snow, I replaced them with Scorpion ATRs… and never looked back. The Scorpions are quite sure-footed in the snow, and give a pleasant ride on the interstate. I've also done a small bit of off-roading with them, and they've handled a few Class IV roads in Vermont with ease.

nice review, hope to get my atr's installed tomorrow

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM