Front Side Lamp Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRover

Reaction score
My Front Side lights are very dim, and I want to replace them. I checked the manual but nothing comes up to the point of a light replacement for that light. The manual seems to call them two different things...Front Side Lamps pg. 280, and Front Marker Lamps Pg. 282. Pg. 280 of the manual says a number "W3W" but thats under the Watts column. Does anybody know what after market wedge light will work for this? I am looking to replace the originals with an LED wedge.

BlackRover

Reaction score
Ok...so this is the low down on what I have found. a W3W bulb is rated 12v which i guess is 1.5w...and the only thing I can find on the internet is a W5W bulb, which is also 12v/1.5w, pretty sure at least. And both W3W and W5W bulbs are rated type 194/168. So I purchased a couple HYPER WHITE 194/168 T10 LED WEDGE BULBS online. I'll post again once I receive them and confirm if they fit or not.

Here is the link to the Bulb...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350122089708&ih=022&category=33713&_trksid=p4506.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DK%252BD%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26ps%3D5#ht_1303wt_1593

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BlackRover

Reaction score
Yeah...I figure those lights aren't really for illumination but for indication. So lighting up the reflector might not matter too much for me...but we'll see what happens...it would be cool to convert it to a Xenon bulb.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true that they are for indication and the reflector doesn't matter. One advantage of course with the LEDs is that they will not die out.

Do the LEDs seem to be plug-n-play? Generally LEDs are current-devices. The lights aren't dimmable so it probably doesn't really matter, but if there's a guinea pig out there getting feedback is always good.

BlackRover

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never had an LED be on a dimmer...I would guess if the power sent to the bulb is lower than 1.5v it might illuminate a bit. I've had LED flash lights that got dim, like a headlamp when hiking, when the battery was low...so I think they might be able to dim.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true that they are for indication and the reflector doesn't matter. One advantage of course with the LEDs is that they will not die out.

Do the LEDs seem to be plug-n-play? Generally LEDs are current-devices. The lights aren't dimmable so it probably doesn't really matter, but if there's a guinea pig out there getting feedback is always good.

Not sure on how well the LED lights will work on the LR3. When pulling a trailer with LED lights, the LED lights will continuously blink even with the vehicle off.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely dim them, but it's tricky....and that's a separate discussion!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635