Hurricane Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
For those of you who have the full size roof rack for your D1 or D2 and cannot stand the noise, I have THE solution! It's easy and cost effective and reduced my wind noise on the highway by at least 90%! It is wonderful to be able to carry on a conversation with a passenger without having to scream. Here is the oh so brief low-down. I went to my local bicycle shop and purchased a Yakima wind fairing FOR A VAN (approx. $70 US). The others are too small and won't work. From there, it was most simple to install the rack into the brackets that are already there for you. That's right, just use the 4 light brackets and they make for beautiful mounts! There is some MINOR engineering involved and I am happy to send detailed photos to anyone intertested. Just e-mail me.

Attachments

• rack_deflector.jpg
    rack_deflector.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reagan,
Could you post some pics of your wind fairing mounted on the rack?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Goto a local plastic shop such as TAP plastics and have one custom made with Land Rover laser cut into it for half the price :biggrin:

Justin

[email protected]

Reaction score
Tried that route. No worky. They wanted almost $80 for a custom piece of black PVC plastic then I would have to go out and spend more $$ on trim for the edge touching the roof as well as all the required hardware to mount. I got everything I needed and had the job done in less than 1 hour. Don't know about you, but I would have spent 6 hours chasing parts down and running around town. I make more than the $6.60/hr. I would have saved by parts hunting.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Tried that route. No worky. They wanted almost $80 for a custom piece of black PVC plastic then I would have to go out and spend more $$ on trim for the edge touching the roof as well as all the required hardware to mount. I got everything I needed and had the job done in less than 1 hour. Don't know about you, but I would have spent 6 hours chasing parts down and running around town. I make more than the $6.60/hr. I would have saved by parts hunting.

Fair enough,

The Plastics shop here has everything needed at their shop minus bolts, but there is a Home Depot right across the street.

Justin

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me got no noise :) Me drive with open windows and have no noise. Me got NWP rack. Glllm gllmmm :)

Either that or noise is arriving at speeds of about 80m/h that i am not driving at around here ;)

Of course being totally cheap bastard,if i would have any noise i'd just go to dollar store or wallyworld and buy some plastic box and cut it to make faring :) But yakima route is proven well on Disco's, thats true.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo