Land Rover's Magic Potion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

vandermeulen

Reading the maintenance schedule for 96-97 Discovery, I noticed that at every interval they add 16 oz Land Rover Fuel Conditioner (LRN10500). What exactly is it? Do they just use a Lucas product? and what about Lucas Oil Stabalizer? I noticed when I searched this in this and other forums that some people use it, but nobody really says how often and how much.

C

campbell

I use Seafoam in the gas tank about every oil change. You can find it at your local parts store like O'Reilly's or NAPA. At my next oil change I may try some engine flush also.

D

discomike

Thomas,
Rover pushes their additive to try and keep the carbon down, it helps some and there are better ones out there to use. Look at Seafoam or better yet B&G's 44K, these will make a huge difference.
Lucas makes some great additives, one for the power steering that really controls leaks and keeps the noise down, one for the tranny and of course the stablizet that can be added to the engine, diffs, and the t/case, this is a great product.
Mike J.

V

vandermeulen

Thanks Mike, is it worth putting the Lucas Oil Stabilzer in at every oil change? I'm about due for another change and will probably change my oil next weekend. How much should one put in with the oil? It's readily available where I live and the bottle is quite large. (not sure of exact size but looks like it could be quart to quart and a half). Would you also use the same stuff in Diff and transfer case?

D

discomike

I use a pint with every engine oil change and a pint with each diff and t/case. I have had a number of people tell me they have had great luck with Lucas's tranny fluid and the power steering fluid is to **** for, stops all the small leaks and keeps the pump quieter, I even use it in my ACE.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Potion N. 9....

:) Just use it. You can always pour it out, if you dont like it. 5.5qt of oil + 1qt of Lucas, 30/70 or 50/50 for transfer, can do 100% in differentials. Lubrication is very good.

Lucas also got fuel additive which is good alternative to BG Supercharger][ (or whatever it called).

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searching for information on oil additives, I read everyone's comments on Lucas and today bought a bottle - but then I did a search on the web for information and found some detractors. One in particular seems to have run a test as follows:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

After reviewing this, I haved decided not to use the Lucas oil additive. Any comments on this test before I toss the bottle??

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting article. I wonder if that machine produced very much heat, as I would think that the lucas needs some heat to work properly since its pretty thick. FWIW, I've been using it the last 3+K miles and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

D

discomike

I have youed the lucas for about 3 years in bothe my Disco and my old Mercedes with great results. I use it in every area of both vehicles, steering,transmission. t/c, diffs, engine and my ACE, Both vehicles run better, are quiter and to me that is all that matters.
Mike J.

A

ayavner

If you look, you will always find detractors... i wish I had a nickel for every website and/or care review site that barely rated the disco better than an Edsel.. .yet here we are.... I came to the conclusion that the disaffected are always going to be more vocal, and instead went with the recommendation of friends/coworkers.

That said.. if you decide you are going to toss the bottle, I'll take it :hello:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge