Lost ALL Key/Sensor(s) - Please help me understand my options?! Thx.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeViking

Reaction score
(2011 LR4 HSE)

ASK:
please help me fully understand what my options are, from worst to best.

SITUATION:
*lost primary key/sensor off-roading & hiking this last summer

*been utilizing my only backup sensor since then

*clearly, I should have used this time to order a replacement key off eBay, and reprogram myself a backup using my GAP IID TOOL (*wishing I would have, but didnt*)

*dropped/fumbled only sensor last night after starting (heard landing in backseat floor somewhere) but was rushing to kid-parent-taxi-duty for the night, and figured I’d find it later, w/ comfort knowing it was in the car somewhere

*long story short: I can’t find it anywhere in the car, have retraced all steps and all stops, and the reality is - that Lucy The LR spent the overnight in my local Costco parking lot

On the off chance that someone found it kicked out the car by kids - in the Costco parking lot and turned it in; I’ll be calling them in an hour. (Unlikely)

SO!

What are my options? Quite sure I cannot reprogram a new key using GAP IID without a functioning key.

So what am I left with? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Figure my only option is calling the local dealership and getting *****… but figured I would ask the community first!

3, 2, 1….. GO!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming by "sensor," you mean the keyfob. Not to be pedantic, but the sensor would be what is permanently int he car that senses the existence of the keyfob. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

If you cannot start the car, the keyfob is not in the car. As to the question of where the keyfob is, who knows. Land Rover allows you to start the car with the keyfob, but then you can throw it out the window and keep driving, generally without much if any warning. You'd only know the keyfob was gone when you turn off the car and try to restart it.

If you don't have a keyfob and cannot find it, I think the dealer is your only option. Get them to make you one, and then make a few extra for yourself in case this ever happens again.

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mobile locksmith can program a new key fob for your vehicle.

BeViking

Reaction score
I am assuming by "sensor," you mean the keyfob. Not to be pedantic, but the sensor would be what is permanently int he car that senses the existence of the keyfob. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Roger that, clarity is good. Yes I have been referring to the keyfob itself.

Land Rover allows you to start the car with the keyfob, but then you can throw it out the window and keep driving, generally without much if any warning. You'd only know the keyfob was gone when you turn off the car and try to restart it.

Haha. Yes! Indeed… only knew when it was too late! Blew it!

If you don't have a keyfob and cannot find it, I think the dealer is your only option. Get them to make you one, and then make a few extra for yourself in case this ever happens again.
Thanks man, I’ll give them a call and see what the terrible damage will be.

Thanks man. Appreciate the responses.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's around $400 to have a new keyfob programmed, I never had the physical key within my keyfob (the blade is it?): a new one of those was $110 - ouch! So sorry that Lucy isn't feeling well :-(.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV