Range rover starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

evets309

i have a 1991 range rover classic that will not start. the engine cranks but will not start. the plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor and coil have all been replaced. sometimes if i jiggle the wires on the coil it will start but then eventually it will stall again. any suggestions?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the battery? If you have not checked it in a while, you could try a load test. If it tests okay, around 300 amps, then do a starter amp draw test. This should be no more than 200 amps. If the starter draws more than 200 amps, it should be replaced.

D

discomike

Steve,
It is not the alternator or battery. Have you tested to make sure you are getting spark to the plugs? You mentioned that if you moved the wires at the coil it would sometimes run which leads me to think that there is either a bad connection, bad wire or the coil is taking a S--T.
So Steve, test for s spark at the plugs first and then get back to us.
Mike J.

D

discomike

Hey Sam,
Just a thought on your last posting. Most starters depending on the engine, how hot it is, the cables and the time of day will pull 150 to 200 amps easily. Some will pull upwards of 350 to 400 and when hot and still be OK. If they pukk that amount when cold they are toast.
Basicily every vehicle has a different draw requirement.
Take care,
Mike J.

S

siambxr

Mine started doing the same thing.. At a 141k miles then just cranks over but no start at all.. It was the fuel pump.. I was told I was running of borrowed time with the fuel pump being they **** out at about 115k or so.. might be the same problem ehhy?

G

Grampabuck

Starting Problem

Same problem, sorta, with my '91. Would crank, but not start and then checked under the drivers seat and reset the Interia Switch and it started with no problem...twice this has happened to me. You can wire around the switch, or so my mechanic told me...if anything hits me hard enough to light the vehicle up..I don't worry about the fuel being cut off.

jholewka

Reaction score
I had the same condition when i first got the 92 RR. I found it top be one of the spade connectors on the coil, I moved it and got it started to get home. The next day I replaced the bad terminal and haven't had a blip since.
Regards
Jim

S

siambxr

Spark ! Compression ! and No fuel ! This is what happened to me when I got up to the cabin in So. Lake Tahoe.. Lucky it wasn’t on the side of some snowy road. Had it towed to a shop with in the Nevada border ( labor is SOO nice in a small town ) had a new pump, filter and relay shipped from British Pacific and I was out of there the next weekend.. across the shop was a petrol station and GET THIS 2.02 for super unleaded! FILL UP TIME ! G-luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90