Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

roland1952

Just had the dealer tell me that the sport mode for the transmission on my 02 RR doesn't really make much of a difference - after I brought it in for service issues I mentioned that it didn't seem to do anything when I turned it on. Does this sound right or is he trying to get out of fixing it? It's a certified RR; Land Rover called me after I dropped it off and asked me when I first noticed it, it never dawned on me they might be denying a claim for the dealer.

A

AVRO

It just let engine rev littlebit higher before shifting up. Nothing else, i assume.
Maybe it gives kickdown littlebit easier also...

R

RovnP38

When you're driving in "town" situations with a lot of stop/go action with stop lights and traffic, the sport mode is supposed to keep the transmission in each gear longer, than in manual mode. It's supposed to make the transmission not work so hard if you're constantly stop/go then the transmission is rapidly changing from 1-2-3-4 and then back down everytime you stop. With sport mode on, it should be more like 1----2----3----------4. It just holds the gear longer, giving you better response if you need to pass someone quick etc...

Now on highway situations, I rarely use sport mode. I use it to get onto the highway like coming down the on-ramp or something. Over 50mph I tend not to use sport mode. It holds 3rd gear too much on the highway, that's why I take it off, and use manual. It seems to get up faster on the highway without using sport mode, go figure... Anyways give that method a try and see if it makes a difference. I may be full of crap, but it seems to work well for me.

R

roland1952

Thanks for the response. What you describe is what I expected; I have had sport mode in other vehicles. Mine does absolutely nothing when I switch it on, so obviously I have a problem.

R

RovnP38

You could just have a bad relay somewhere, have you posted a thread on the 4.0/4.6 catagory on http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/ ?
Hopefully someone can help you there. This would be the first thread I've seen about the "sport" mode not working... Hope you find the problem..
Keep us updated please.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM