Suroco Urban Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomK

Reaction score
Surco Urban Rack

I am getting my new (to me) LR3 ready for the camping season rapidly approaching. My wife and I tent camp in luxury... and incomprehensible concept for many of our friends... one of whom considers staying in a Super 8 to be "roughing it".

Consequently we have LOTS of accounterments we take with us even for just a weekend: PahaQue Perry Mesa and 10x10 Screen Room, Cabela Camper's Kitchen (holding the proverbial "kitchen sink") and rolltop table, 62 QT cooler, food pantry box, double-height air mattress and double-wide sleeping bag, two or three duffles for clothes-necessities-et cetera, the "Kitchen Drawer & Shop Bags", two camp chairs... and often our two bicycles and Sevylor (inflatable) Colorado Canoe.

In the past I have been able to get all of this inside the previously owned '97 Lexus LX450 and "Mitzie the Montero"... without even once having to bungie the wife to the roof. The bikes do go on a hitch-type rack. Although I haven't tried it, I don't think it all is going to fit (comfortably) inside the LR3.

I am considering a Surco 45"X60" URBAN Rack with a Sherpak Elite 20 Roof Pouch.

Anyone have any experience with the Surco Rack? How well does it fit and how easy/difficult is it to attach/remove? Are the Sherpak's as watertight as represented by the maker and the reviews?

Any other suggestions... besides cutting down on "all that damned stuff you guys take" (according to the sons). Taking all "the stuff" is, according to my wife, one of the many privileges I enjoy when we go camping together... and therefore without which I would be camping alone. I am looking at a Thule Sport Utility Trailer, but can't figure out a way to take the bikes, except on the roof... which I want to avoid. I hate cleaning bug guts off the spokes, etc.

TomK
Black Hills of South Dakota

JThiessen

Reaction score
This was my answer to "you cant take it all with you...."

This came the weekend after I woke up at 4 am with 2 or three inches of water in the tent while camped on the Washington Coast.

My input here is based soley on my observations of what others have done while camping. I have frequently seen people in SUV's and cars towing small cargo trailers. They seem to be well organized, and IMHO, you can pack the trailer without having it on the vehicle. Unlike the cartop carrier, which you have to load onto the vehicle, then load its contents. Its also kind of a pain to get up into them (the LR3 is not a short vehicle).

You can also purchase bike covers (either a full cover, or just a front bug deflector) for you cartop carrier.

I was just in the new Cabela's store here in Yelm WA last night. What an awesome store! Its rare for this tight *** German to walk into a retail store and want to buy something of everything, but I was ready to empty my wallet last night! If you ever have the opportunity, they are worth the time to go into.

Attachments

• 06 Laramie & 05 Laredo (2).JPG
    06 Laramie & 05 Laredo (2).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
surco are not that bad, but you can do better. especially for an LR3. the powder coating is not really that great. i like a tubular steel rack or a large tube aluminum. not bad for the money, but i would keep researching elsewhere. ARB makes a nice roof rack, along with Garvin. here is a cool link i found with a google search. the arb is more expensive but worth it. plus they have the sweetest overtop tent ive seen yet.

http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/racks/classic.html

these used to sell like they were going out of style. might be worth checking out if you need a little extra.
http://www.sportrack.com/a30850

Last edited:

TomK

Reaction score
Landy Man... Nice rig! I've been directed towards a TrailManor 3023. Apparently tows like a pop-up and lives like a travel trailer. A dealer near here has a new 2006 on sale. We'll see. It may be just the ticket... except pulling it to some of the remote campgrounds we go to (e.g., Hole in the Wall, WY) would be impossible. At least the bears wouldn't eat us if we did get there!

RoVerified... I thought about having the Surco side rails painted Tonga Green by a body shop here. I don't need the size of the larger racks... and I am hoping that having a smaller rack set back on the LR3 will cut down on the wind noise/drag.

I just posted a photo titled "Where Are We?" of our LR3 in the LR3 Gallery... Any movie buffs recognize the location where this recent photo of our 2006 LR3 was taken?

TomK

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yakima basket is not too bad, but I've only heard Surco products described as mediocre or average. I personally have a similar load out to what you describe, but I use a Hannibal roof rack that fits tons of stuff. On my Hannibal, I have a jerry can of fuel, two medium size weather tight tool boxes, fire wood, camp chairs (and table), and sometimes my spare tire, or sometimes I use my Rola bag to keep duffle bags dry:

59100.jpg

211888949_fYc8b-M.jpg

LR3_hannibal_rack-16.gif

I also use a Double size inflatable air mattress and often sleep in the back of the LR3. Fold down the seats, move the front seats up a bit, and open the sunroof leaving the bug screen in place, and find that it's a very comfortable sleeping cabin.

TomK

Reaction score
Change of plans...

After seeing Landy Man's "One can take it all with you" setup, I was compelled to look into a Travel Trailer solution. We are now looking at a TrailManor 3023. Its not for off-raod pullin' for sure, but the TrailManor looks like a very well designed and built camper.

I searched the forum for discussion on hitches, pulling, et cetera... and came up with lots and lots of very helpful information.

This forum is super!

TomK

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge