What's with the self healing satin finish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that Defender ad pop up for the first time today and it was news to me.
I have heard that the satin finishes are difficult to maintain. So this is the first time I've heard the claim that if you leave them in the sun the body panels will "heel" minor blemishes. Curious to hear how that works if anyone is familiar with it.

Stoked to see a dedicated forum for the new Defender! Was sad to see at least one person leave this group when we didn't have a place to chat about their new ride. Maybe they'll come back. ;)

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XPEL ULITMATE self healing wrap been around for a few year (circa 2017). Pretty cool:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XPEL ULITMATE self healing wrap been around for a few year ...
Thanks. That was a cool video.

So, the Defender satin finish is a wrap or has this type of layering built into the paint applicator?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a $4,880 satin wrap option. Only available on top of the three $710 metallic colors options (Silver, green, & stone)

Not available on white, blue, grey, or black - but there are lots of 3rd party wrap/tint places that would do bumper-to-bumper wraps for about that same price.

IMHO white seems to hide scratches and off-roading pinstripes best. I dont mind the trail tattoos, but I am also driving the same rover for 10+ years. Enjoy it!

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xpel has been around for at least 7 years. I had my infinity wrapped back in 2014. It works well, but larger rock damage doesn't fully "heal". Overall I was pretty impressed with the results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV