LR3 Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

alindsay

I easily added the Tow hitch and wiring harness but I now need to add a brake controller for my camper.

Anyone know the best way to do this? My previous vehicles (Navigator) had a wiring harness that plugged in just under the fron dash. I added a brake controller and could plug/unplug it as I needed to tow.

Any help is appreciated.

Allan

D

disco1

I have a Hayes brake controller fitted to both my discos. As I fitted them some time ago I might be a little rusty on detail, but generally they are any easy fix. First you need to find a spot under the dash or on the steering column where the controller is slanted at an angle. you will need to get a 12 pin plug in socket (male/female)for the rear. You will need to run extra wires from the controller to the pins to power the brakes as well as connecting up the usual brake light, blinker, reverse light etc. I hope this helps. Get back to me if you need more info and I'll revisit my instruction sheet on the install.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The installation is the same for virtually any vehicle. There is nothing special on the LR3 to cause it to be different.

Some new trucks (latest F-250?) have a brake controller built-in! But that's very unique.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I thought odd (and even a little uncool) is that the "tow package" doesn't come with a wiring harness! What is up with that?

The LR3 is advertized to be a hauler. They should set it up wired from the factory with a plug for the controller.

C

CapnCurry

LR3 Trailer Brake controller under dash hook ups

I am having the same problem. I have been calling LR customer service and dealers around the bay area and the have no answer for the LR3. You would think... that if the LR3 is rated at 7700lb towing that they would make provisions for a trailer brake controller connections under the dash so that you would not have to run wires through the car to the back. If you find out how to do this, please let me know what you did.

D

dronedog

i am about to do the same hook up. can you send me some info on this connection for the controller? the plug, the ford plug and what the wiring is?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM