Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spare took a couple trips to reset, but I actually turned it off with my IIDTool. I guess that's my answer to anything TPMS-related. I do use TPMS on my main four tires, as I do like the alerts just in case since I am extremely OCD about tire pressure.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a fault a week after installing Cooper's and was able to remedy by infllating the tires to 40psi.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS Recall Coming In December

I just heard from my service rep that the recall for the TPMS system is coming in December. (Didn't we touch on this in another thread? If so, I couldn't find it.) Anyway, he also told me that for some models it is only a software update. For others (at least the 2014s - meaning mine) they need to replace the sensors. Now here's the rub. I purchased a second set of 2014 model appropriate sensors (nearly $600) in June for my second set of wheels (the Compomotives.) They couldn't tell me if LR would replace both the original's (currently in my stock wheels) and the 2nd set I purchased for my other wheels. They didn't say they wouldn't, they just had not heard anything. So heads up.

The update is supposed to be arriving in mid-December from what I was told.

And, BTW, I immediately cancelled the snow tire order I made earlier today (phew!) which I planned on putting on the original 19" wheels so I could easily alternate sets. I do NOT plan on paying $600 for yet another set of sensors simply because LR have obsoleted the ones they sold me in June! If they agree to replace both sets then I'll move forward with the snow tires. (Nokians.)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, if it's the recall I am thinking about (I can't believe there would be two of them issued for the same problem!?!), your 2014 should not require new sensors, only a software update - assuming you are within the affected VIN range: https://app.box.com/s/iov5jpuqq9uu4fwqx9a0

Thanks, Umberto. This certainly seems like it could be the one. My VIN does fall in the specified range. Yet, as you pointed out, the models needing new sensors is apparently 2013MY LR4 only. It looks like, for those affected models that are not MY2013 LR4s, that it is "merely" a software adjustment to the power distribution functions.

If it is OK with you, I am going to forward this to my LR service rep for confirmation. He was just talking with me off the cuff and admitted he was not certain if my vehicle would require the TPMS sensor replacements - but he expressed concern that it did. I'll post once I get clarification/confirmation from him.

BTW, I'm not sure where in SoCal you live but I had to be in El Segundo for meetings back in October. Thought of you. And realized that I could never live in the LA area. Too many people! I sometimes feel like the Denver area is too crowded - and I'm on the outskirts. But then again, you don't need to worry about snow weather. :smile:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, Umberto. I just received email confirmation from my dealer service rep. He quoted the document you pointed me to. No sensor swap for the 2014 LR4. Only for the affected 2013 models. Phew. Now back to putting snow tires on my 19" wheels.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update since I'm the one who started this thread. They finally did replace the sensors on all of my tires including the spare under warranty, after several times of complaining about the warning message. Six months after that, I bought new tires and totally forgot that about that and bought the TPMS rebuild kit that they recommended at Discount Tires -- $40 total. Not a large amount of money but in retrospect I probably didn't need to buy those since the dealer had just replaced the sensors. In any case, I haven't had any problems since and I now I only get messages when the tire pressure is actually low -- and it does tell you exactly which tire is low. I don't know anything about this newer TPMS recall since I have an older 2011 LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72