Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtp4

Reaction score
I got a slow leak in one of my tires from a puncture, and the message from the sensor is very clear. There are two warnings that happen together: an amber warning light on the dash which looks like a flat tire. And the TFT screen on the dash shows a top-view of the truck, with the bad tire highlighted in white, and a message above it: "Left rear low. Check all tire pressures".

If you hit 'ok' on the steering wheel then the message and the truck picture disappear, but the amber light stays on until the tire is aired up again.

M.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had it periodically, and then it just goes away. The first several time we checked all the tire pressures but now when we see it we normally just laugh and wait for it to go away.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also get this message intermittently, but have been told by the dealer that sometimes the system gets a bit confused, and needs to be reset. The way the system is reset is to just to drive the car...then the message should just turn off.
So, i guess the problem is when the message does not turn off

aesopian

Reaction score
The only time I had the tire pressure monitoring system fault message appear was when I had my wussy factory spare tire on due to a flat. Once the tire with the TPMS sensor was reinstalled all messages went away. I believe the dealership needed to do a system reset.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 11 HSE for about 10 months (10K) and have seen the low pressure warning around 6 times. Normally, I'll visually inspect the tires and expect that the warning will go away which it does. It seems to happen more when I do a fair amount of elevation change. I live at about 1000ft ASL and commonly drive to 5000ft ASL for mountain biking etc.

Marty

Dubroz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting old thread.

I just got this message on my 2014 LR4, all tire pressures are normal.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got it for the first time today on my 2011 at 26k miles. Plan on waiting to see if it goes away. Tires look fine.

My opinion is TPMS are more trouble than they're worth. After owning a dozen or so cars with them I have had multiple errors, failures, and false warnings (first one on this car though) and not a single useful alert.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got it for the first time today on my 2011 at 26k miles. Plan on waiting to see if it goes away. Tires look fine.

My opinion is TPMS are more trouble than they're worth. After owning a dozen or so cars with them I have had multiple errors, failures, and false warnings (first one on this car though) and not a single useful alert.
That's why the GAP IIDTool is so useful, you can turn off the TPMS. :)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree. And on some cars you can see the tire pressure for each tire. I had this in my MDX and it was part of the normal scroll of information in the console display. (Sort of like when we scroll the info using the end of the turn signal lever on our LR4s.) So I would see it constantly. And it was always varying by 3-5 lbs. based on ambient temperature, driving time, elevation, barometric pressure, whatever. At first it made me OCD! Finally I just stopped looking at it.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fact, on some of the newer vehicles there are so many warning systems (nags) it can drive you nuts. I actually like the blind spot and rear traffic monitoring. But in my MDX I had Lane Departure Monitoring which would heap at me every time I forgot to use my turn single - even if I was in the middle of Wyoming with no cars for miles. Then there was the collision avoidance that would sometimes trigger and flash BRAKE! at me when it was unnecessary. And then the Navigation Voice directions which would constantly complain if I altered a route (because there was obvious construction or whatever.)

It was like having a constant back seat driver - or driver's ed teacher.

The LR4 has plenty of these systems. But other new vehicles are worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72