Oil Type Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edmlr4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has been talked about before, I'm doing an oil change and I want to make sure I put the right oil in my 2014 LR4.

The manual says use Castrol SLX 5W20 to WSS-M2C925-A spec, which is fine for warmer climates, and can be bought at the local dealership. I'm in Canada, and on the oil filler cap under the hood, and in the manual, it say’s use 0W20 if colder then -20C

So my three questions are:

-What 0W20 should I use, because spec WSS-M2C925-A doesn't cover this weight

-Is the Spec WSS-M2C925-A the same as WSS-M2C945-A

-What types of oils and weights is everyone using in cold climates

Thanks, Chris

srschick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the first number is the viscosity at colder temps (0 flows freer at colder temps than 5)
When warmed up both oils have a viscosity of 20.

Any brand name oil will be fine to use. For piece of mind, use at least a synthetic blend.
you do NOT have to run a full synthetic as long as you change your oil at regular intervals.

aj22

Reaction score
the first number is the viscosity at colder temps (0 flows freer at colder temps than 5)
When warmed up both oils have a viscosity of 20.

Any brand name oil will be fine to use. For piece of mind, use at least a synthetic blend.
you do NOT have to run a full synthetic as long as you change your oil at regular intervals.

No! "Regular intervals" for the LR4 is 1yr or 15k miles - you'll want to use a full synthetic, extended interval oil. And, in case you have a warranty issue, you might need to demonstrate following factory requirements on oil.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover recommends synthetic oil only for the LR4. For warranty reasons, especially if you are going for the recommended intervals of 12 months or 15K miles - but even if you don't - you should follow their recommendation and stick to synthetic. In your shoes (extreme cold temperatures, aka "arduous conditions" in Land Rover-speak) I'd probably pick an "extended performance" formulation such as Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance or Castrol EDGE 0W-20 Extended Performance - the closest formulations to their recommended oil you can get in that viscosity - and change oil twice as often as recommended.

The Land Rover blessed Castrol SLX was discontinued long ago and replaced by Castrol EDGE Professional OE, which is available through dealers and an increasing number of independent shops and even online, but only in 5W-20 formulation.

srschick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well then, if LR says stick to full synthetic, and you plan to change at longer durations, then you should definitely stick to the recommendations.

allow me to rephrase my earlier comment by prefacing with "In my opinion". And by regular oil change I meant 3-5k miles.
I firmly believe 12k change is too long to go, in any engine, even with full synthetic.

fwiw, I do use full synthetic. No particular reason other than it's only a few bucks more, so why not...

aj22

Reaction score
well then, if LR says stick to full synthetic, and you plan to change at longer durations, then you should definitely stick to the recommendations.

allow me to rephrase my earlier comment by prefacing with "In my opinion". And by regular oil change I meant 3-5k miles.
I firmly believe 12k change is too long to go, in any engine, even with full synthetic.

fwiw, I do use full synthetic. No particular reason other than it's only a few bucks more, so why not...

3-5k is serious overkill in this day and age. Obviously no harm in frequent changes, but a waste of time and money. I've been doing 10k or so with full synthetic on all my cars since my first car(in 1991), and have never had any kind of engine problems to speak of. I've certainly been lucky on that count, but also I'm clearly doing no harm.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts from a long time of experience, never follow Rovers advice or your truck will experience problems like failing diffs, T/case and tranny.
If you want your Rover to run well for years do your engine oil changes every 7,000 miles, not 15,000, use the best oil filter you can buy like a Mobil 1 or a K&N. As for oils do worry about using Rovers recommeded fluids, use the best Synthetic you can buy, Like Royal Purple, Edge or Mobil and start running some heavier fluids like winter oils in the 5W20 range or lower if you are in the 20 Degree and below range. In the spring and summer, run a 10W30 10W40 or heavier fluid to give you the best protection.
As for the diffs, change them every 30,000 miles as well as the t/case, here again only using the best and heaviest fluid you can find even though Rover says not to until 100,000 or more miles. Following those suggestions will only cause a much higher failure on any of your drive line componets as it has ever since Rover went this directions and 1000's of people have paid dealer for new diffs and t/cases.

edmlr4

Reaction score
I've decided to go with Castrol EDGE with Titanium in SAE 0W-20, and change is every 12000 KM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72