MY2014 problems vs 2010-2013 LR4s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not post for a while but have been watching the forum closely. Lots of new member with 2014 LR4 and I am just shocked how many serious problems people have with MY2014. How could Land Rover screw up this truck? I am just so happy that after my 2011 LR4 had been totaled I replaced it with 2013 MY. I thought about waiting for 2014 but I heard V8 possibly not being offered and decided to go with a proven 5.0L V8 which was designed for this truck.
I curious how V6SC behaves off road with extra weight of proper rock sliders, other underbody protection and heavier wheels/tires set up ( ex. compos with BFG tires).
As for my 2013 LR4 I have had no problems at all. None, and I take this truck off road often. With my 2011 LR4 I had two issues , which were taken care of easily under warranty
1. blue screens for surround cameras and
2. warped rotors

PS. I did not drive V6SC LR4 but when I test drove Jaguar FX ( It was back in 2012 and Jag had 5.0 V8, I hated a rotary knob). An "old style" stick is just more intuitive and more convenient to use when driving off road or on the street. Maybe I am old fashioned.
I hope Land Rover will stand behind its product and help all the new owners.
V8 LR4 was a truck which proved that Land Rover can make reliable vehicles but with MY2014 it looks like it is not valid any longer.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, another one of these threads. Did we need another one?

It seems to me that there has only been one wide-spread problem (we don't know how wide) reported with the MY14. That's the engine shut down issue. Several of us have MY14s and have had zero trouble. The rest of the "problems" seem to be issues that could have happened with any MY LR4 and are probably more a symptom of bad dealership service than anything really wrong with the LRs.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime a manufacturer makes a change there is a chance that some "bugs" need to get worked out. I'm sure the SCV6 is a solid engine but the integration of new electronic technologies like the rotary shift knob or Eco feature may have a few issues at first.

LR4's are becoming more popular as family haulers, especially if you purchase one without the heavy duty package. Maybe these owners came from Honda or Toyota and expected that "transportation appliance" reliability. LR4 is a complex vehicle with amazing capability. Along with that complexity can be issues.

And as noted before, sometimes you just get a lemon and it can happen with any manufacturer. For me it's all about how the dealer and manufacturer resolve the problem.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, another one of these threads. Did we need another one?

It seems to me that there has only been one wide-spread problem (we don't know how wide) reported with the MY14. That's the engine shut down issue. Several of us have MY14s and have had zero trouble. The rest of the "problems" seem to be issues that could have happened with any MY LR4 and are probably more a symptom of bad dealership service than anything really wrong with the LRs.

I thought that we could have a thread were all general info would be listed. Then as for a specific problem we could provide a link to a specific thread.
If you guys feel that it is not needed I can delete this thread.
This engine shut down problem is serious enough to become a recall issue. What about oil in engine cooling system? Someone said on this forum that this happened also on Jaguar cars with V6SC engines.
I wish LR did not change anything for current body style LR4 and wait with all new "updates" for a completely new LR4. But we all know why they did it. It would not look good to charge for RR Sport with V6 more then for V8 LR4.
BTW.To me a new range Rover sport looks like Ford Explorer.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLB...Exactly my thoughts on the look-alike Explorer. I had to look twice to be sure it was an RR Sport. No longer distinctive. And the LR2 looks like...well, I won't even go down that path. !

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen three posts about MY14 having electrical shut-down problems. Out of how many sold? I googled "car shut-down while driving" and this problem (whatever the root cause) is not new and particular to LR MY14 by any stretch.
From what I've read so far, imo, there is no evidence of a broad problem across the MY14 line that would cause me to cancel my build that is finishing up next month.

Of course I think about not paying for my order and finding another brand, but it's still a crapshoot so to speak and then I would NOT be getting the vehicle I want.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that we could have a thread were all general info would be listed. Then as for a specific problem we could provide a link to a specific thread.
If you guys feel that it is not needed I can delete this thread.
This engine shut down problem is serious enough to become a recall issue. What about oil in engine cooling system? Someone said on this forum that this happened also on Jaguar cars with V6SC engines.
I wish LR did not change anything for current body style LR4 and wait with all new "updates" for a completely new LR4. But we all know why they did it. It would not look good to charge for RR Sport with V6 more then for V8 LR4.
BTW.To me a new range Rover sport looks like Ford Explorer.

What purpose/value does it serve to have a thread like this? Every vehicle out there has threads like this and I have never seen them accomplish anything except a lot of venting and sometimes killing a halfway decent forum that was created to help people get the most out of their vehicles.

Opinionated ranting about a vehicle you don't even own? Really? I love mine as do many others. And this forum has been very helpful. But if it becomes populated with whining threads it will **** the forum.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Well said!! Then again this is not the only thread like this on this forum ;)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, just a few threads like we have seen could scare away potential LR4 owners. Our LR3 has been more reliable than any of my previous Audis and
our LR4 has been flawless. These forums tend to become complaint centers where some people whine on and on. Maybe we need to start posting "Glad to report another trouble-free day of driving my LR4".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72