Anyone done Exhaust upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surfrider- Good review. I'm sure it will be helpful to many. Could you do a video?

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
Yes, same problem with the 1800 rpm hum. If I bugs me too much I pop it into sport mode so the RPM's go up and it goes away. It seems like its around 50-60mph. And since I since city driving is usually slower than that and highway driving is usually faster it doesn't bug me too much. I heard Magna Flow has something you add to your exhaust that makes that hum go away. Mine hasn't bothered me enough to care. I think the nosiest part of my LR4 is the roof rack. It makes more noise than the Duratracks and the Magnaflow.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were carrying the conversation from this reply in case anyone was confused:

Yea, I made a thread about the Magnaflow. I do love it too, I there's a few things I do not like about it.

#1 - The Magnaflow muffler itself hangs down an inch or two lower than the stock one. It's a nice big flat faced target to smack into rocks. Poor design, as there is PLENTY of space to have it up further in the space provided.

#2 - There is an unbearable drone around ~1800 rpm. Over 2k, it's absolutely fine and below 1500 the entire exhaust is hardly audible. There is that annoying spot in between that resonates and drives me crazy on occasion.

#3 - Cheap stainless steel pipes. I had my exhaust no more than a month and they turned a brown rust color. Research on this shows this same cheap rust color on Magnaflow pipes across the board on all vehicle kits. Unacceptable considering the $1000 price.

That said, the sound is fantastic and it's how a V8 should sound. It has a great pop and burble when in Sport mode on the transmission during downshift throttle blips. :proud:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drone is easy to deal with if you get out of that rpm, for sure. The cheap grade stainless steel and poor fitment (hangs too low) are an issue I would like to see them resolve.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have full skid plates so I don't have any problem with it hanging down. It sits up above the skid plates.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to update from my few posts above. I have actually removed my Magnaflow exhaust. I really can't recommend it to anyone unless you can put up with the drone and use it as a street truck.

The low hanging muffler has been smacked countless times off-road to the point it pulls the pipe out of the band clamp. (Basically an open pipe after the cats) After re-fitting and re-clamping for the 3rd time, I just said enough is enough. My mechanic had my original exhaust and we just put it back on and threw the Magnaflow in the trash bin.

In <1 year it was absolutely covered in rust and looked like dog ****. You can see this common complaint about all Magnaflow systems.

There was also a fitment issue where the pipe actually melted some of my rear bumper.

It's just a junk mod altogether. DO NOT recommend.

(Pics coming in the next week)

*Edit* The dead silence of the standard exhaust is now shocking!! Kinda nice to be honest.

Last edited:

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn can't imagine that the stock is better then the magnaflow since I bang the hell out of the stock last time I did a little rock crawling in big bear. This is what I did to the stock haha imagine a lower hanging exhaust.

uploadfromtaptalk1419288316032.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72