'00 Disco2 intermittent start problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leej

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2000 Discovery II with 80,000 miles on it. I have had it for about a year, and it has been running fine.

However, it is having a starting problem. It will crank fine and turn over good (strong battery), but acts like it is not getting gas or spark. Then, all of the sudden, it will start, and run just fine. No error codes.

I can't tell that there is any pattern (i.e. does it when hot or cold), and I'm not sure if it is a ignition or gas problem. Any ideas?

I was going to test for good spark by pulling a wire, but read on one post that this is not a good idea; any suggestions on testing for spark? I have seen posts regarding a crankcase sensor, and posts for a fuel temp sensor, but nothing on how to diagnose.

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

Lee
2000 Discovery 2

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over a 3 yr, period, both my LR's had intermittent start problems, and in both cases they sometimes didn't want to restart after a short trip ie. grocery store.

If I let them sit for 10 - 30 mins. they would restart and run fine.

In both cases a $75 crankshaft position sensor from the dealer resolved the issue.

luck,greg

leej

Reaction score
Sounds like the consensus is crankshaft sensor... Should I have received any ODB codes on this?

I wish there was a way to test or diagnose (other tham simply replacing).

Lee

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
No codes just starting issues

leej

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have ordered the crank position sensor from Atlantic British, and will report back once I replace the old one.

Hopefully it won't be to hard to locate and replace. Any advice on where it is or tips on replacing would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lee
2000 Discovery

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 5 fault codes for a failing crank sensor but they rarely show up.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's well hidden against the engine, under the driver's exh manifold, covered by a shield. bolted against the rear of the block, facing the trans. (whew)

As I recall, my weapon of choice was a 1/4" drive, 6" ext, topped with a 7/32" six point socket

It's in the free rave cd

luck,greg

leej

Reaction score
Greg, thanks for the advice. I am waiting on the replacement sensor (ordered yesterday), but I crawled under this afternoon and I can see the crankshaft sensor cover, and I think I can barely reach it once I get the truck up on some ramps (won't be easy), but I'm worried about being able to reach the connector... We will see...

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naturally, wear long sleeves or let the engine cool down, as I recall

luck,greg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member