06 Surging under light/continuous throttle +

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crashcraddock

Reaction score
I have an 06 fullsize that under light throttle (maintaining 45 mph) you can see and feel a light surge in the rpms. Also under heavy throttle the rpms will spin up to 3800rpm then drop to 3300rpm then take off to redline, any ideas?

This vehicle has 108K and had the full pump replaced by the dealer around 103K, surging started recently.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have the battery tested.

crashcraddock

Reaction score
I have a fairly new 18 to 24 month old interstate, so I think I'm OK here, but maybe not.
I am intrigued by the trans going out statement (socalrovershop, I would think they are familiar with these rovers). This has been one of my biggest fears since we bought this truck, however, the maintenance on the truck was impeccable, service records included and the trans fluid has been replaced (not flushed) to add a new filter and fresher fluid. I was hoping it might be a sensor problem (TPS) or a dirty throttle body/mass air sensor, do these trucks even have a mass air sensor? I guess I need to look under the hood again.

crashcraddock

Reaction score
I do know that at 115K the spark plugs have never been replace, but I have also seen an error message on the dash stating gear selection unavailable (I think that's what it said) but it still goes smoothly into gear and drives with no problems.
I have also had the truck shut down the engine and show some engine malfunction message only to start up again with no problems, I figured these were all just the typical gremlins that these wonderful vehicles have.

crashcraddock

Reaction score
Lastly, I've been told and read in many places that the engines and transmissions in the 06 and newer non-supers were almost bulletproof...not true?

Thanks for the responses, please keep them coming.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start with changing the plugs if they have never been replaced.

crashcraddock

Reaction score
I would start with changing the plugs if they have never been replaced.

Slight update: Plugs only have 13K on them, found the service record. I'm now leaning towards the transmission ecu, anymore thoughts?

On a side note, my truck has 115K on it, I have an offer to trade for an 06 Supercharged with 66k and 1yr bumper to bumper warranty for a slight up charge, around 6k...worth it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Going from an 06 to an 06 with half the mileage and going supercharged for 6k... not too bad but that would be your call. I would still lean toward a battery issue and normally when electrical issues start the battery is a 50/50 shot at being the issue.

crashcraddock

Reaction score
Going from an 06 to an 06 with half the mileage and going supercharged for 6k... not too bad but that would be your call. I would still lean toward a battery issue and normally when electrical issues start the battery is a 50/50 shot at being the issue.

Thanks Joey, also looking forward to the 1yr warranty. I'm going to look at the supercharged Rover tomorrow. I appreciate your replies, I've been a little upset with the lack of information on the forums for these L322s, I guess it's not owned by the same people that own Minis and Jeeps. (plethora of info. for those vehicles) I'll try to update again, you know, in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112