12V portable air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! You guys are going to have me spending a ton of money on my truck long before I have it! At least when I do start enhancing it I will have so much great advice from this forum. Or maybe I should just do a Christmas in July thing and present my wish list to my wife. ;-)
Welcome to the world of modifying and buying accessories for an LR4. Haha! :)

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! You guys are going to have me spending a ton of money on my truck long before I have it! At least when I do start enhancing it I will have so much great advice from this forum. Or maybe I should just do a Christmas in July thing and present my wish list to my wife. ;-)

Buying accessories is lot$ of fun.
BTW. This forum is the best. Plenty of useful info, great support from the members and very well organized.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that I had a Viair installed under the hood of my Jeep and it was alright but I replaced it with the ARB Twin Compressor. The ARB was able to pump out more CFM's and fill tires quite a bit faster. I know the portable ARB Twin kit is considerably more expensive than the Viair.

I did know one guy one time that had a Viair portable and he really loved it. Said it worked for him quite well.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the ARB. It doubles as an offroad Tool Box for the LR4. I have a couple D shackles, a deflator, tire pressure guage, some gloves and other goodies stashed in the box. I then strap it into the rear on the luggage tie down loops so it doesnt bounce / roll around.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn it! Just ordered one! i have a cheap Slime one which works but takes forever.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am bringing up this thread again, as I broke my old compressor (long story), and was going to purchase a VIAIR 450P (I had the model below it and it was very good, but wanted something stronger/faster). However, I am thinking of going with the ARB CKMP12 high-performance air compressor. From looking at them side-by-side, they both seem to get great reviews and have similar specs, but I am wondering if the VIAIR seems slightly better due to the 100% duty cycle feature, where as the ARB has 50%. The ARB is slightly more expensive (not a surprise), but cheaper than the max performance version with the external tank. I like the latter, but I am not spending $800+ for a compressor - willing to go up to around $400.00. Does anyone know if the 450P has the auto-shut off like the ARB model?

Here is the VIAIR 450P:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9EGFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2APBYF0UO6PK8

Here is the ARB:

http://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-Pe...0&sr=8-1&keywords=ARB+portable+air+compressor

Any thoughts? Perhaps a different brand?

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

I am more than happy with my Viair 450P.
BTW . you can get it on Amazon for about $190

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-40043-V...TF8&qid=1409545855&sr=8-3&keywords=viair+450p

It is slightly slower than ARB but very quiet, well built.
It has automatic thermal overload protector. I am not sure if this was your question.
Also when you release the trigger when putting air , a compressor will stop till you squeeze the trigger again. It also has a pressure switch to prevent it from damage related to overpressure.

When I compared prices from your links there was not much of a difference between ARB and Viair, but for $190 Viair 450P is a really good deal.
BTW I love like your LR4 set up a lot. :smile:
I am getting ready for fuel tank and transfer case skid plates and will go probably with Asfir sump guard like Umberto did.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

I am more than happy with my Viair 450P.
BTW . you can get it on Amazon for about $190

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-40043-V...TF8&qid=1409545855&sr=8-3&keywords=viair+450p

It is slightly slower than ARB but very quiet, well built.
It has automatic thermal overload protector. I am not sure if this was your question.
Also when you release the trigger when putting air , a compressor will stop till you squeeze the trigger again. It also has a pressure switch to prevent it from damage related to overpressure.

When I compared prices from your links there was not much of a difference between ARB and Viair, but for $190 Viair 450P is a really good deal.
BTW I love like your LR4 set up a lot. :smile:
I am getting ready for fuel tank and transfer case skid plates and will go probably with Asfir sump guard like Umberto did.
Thanks so much! The link you provided is for the 400P, I was leaning toward spending a bit more for the 450P to have the 100% duty cycle feature. I am leaning toward the Viair for that reason, though I hear great things about the ARB.

Thanks for your kind words about my LR4 - are you planning to do a front or rear bumper?

I like my gas tank and transfer case skids from Tactical, but along with the sliders, they really make things a bit sluggish. I still feel I have plenty of power, but be ready for a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72