12V portable air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLB, that's a link to the 400P, another good compressor from Viair but not quite as good as the 450P that I was checking out myself a while back. My main issue with the ARB is that it is huge. I carry my compressor (a much cheaper Masterfow MF-1050) stashed under the folded 3rd row seats at all times, along with a few other essential tools. Out of sight, out of mind... until I need it. I bet the Viair 450P would fit down there as well, it looks nearly as compact in its soft carry bag. The ARB hard case would need to permanently take space in my cargo area. For convenience and portability alone I'd happily give up the likely better performance of the ARB in favor of the Viair personally. But there is no doubt the ARB is an excellent compressor and probably a better overall performer, despite the duty cycle claim of the Viair. I just don't put that much importance on saving 5-10 minutes when inflating tires, especially since I seldom deflate mine more than 10-15 PSI tops, so the process is fairly quick anyway. If I did, I would probably splurge for a CO2 charged Powertank instead of a compressor, that's a REALLY fast way of pumping air into your tires, or even operating an air tool in the boonies.

My $79 Masterflow has served me well for over 7 years now, I have just gone through a handful of 30A fuses for it, despite its questionable build quality. When it dies, I might upgrade to a 450P.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops, I am sorry. you are right. It is for 400P . It would be too good to be true. I should have checked it more carefully after search results.
Anyway. Viair 450P is great. I was debating between same compressors you are looking at and went with 450P. It does not get very hot and I use it in 100+ *F.
For now I will have to focus on tactical 4x4 gas tank and transfer case skid plates plus asfir sump guard. Hope to get those very soon. No bumpers for "my" truck. Maybe spare tire carrier in the future.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am bringing up this thread again, as I broke my old compressor (long story), and was going to purchase a VIAIR 450P (I had the model below it and it was very good, but wanted something stronger/faster). However, I am thinking of going with the ARB CKMP12 high-performance air compressor. From looking at them side-by-side, they both seem to get great reviews and have similar specs, but I am wondering if the VIAIR seems slightly better due to the 100% duty cycle feature, where as the ARB has 50%. The ARB is slightly more expensive (not a surprise), but cheaper than the max performance version with the external tank. I like the latter, but I am not spending $800+ for a compressor - willing to go up to around $400.00. Does anyone know if the 450P has the auto-shut off like the ARB model?

Here is the VIAIR 450P:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9EGFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2APBYF0UO6PK8

Here is the ARB:

http://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-Pe...0&sr=8-1&keywords=ARB+portable+air+compressor

Any thoughts? Perhaps a different brand?

I did quite a bit of reading before I bought my compressor and in the end, I purchased the exact same ARB compressor you linked. The gist of what I had read was that the Viair numbers (fill rate, especially at higher psi load) were not exactly as advertised. The ARB numbers are solid and push enough air to reseal a tire that has completely broken its seal on both sides of the rim. I go down to 18psi on the sand, so this was important to me. I also live in the middle east here, so it's operating under the harshest of conditions. Speaks well for it's build quality.

Look for some independent reviews on the compressor stats. This might help you make the better decision to suit your needs.

I especially love the ARB toolbox it comes mounted in. I can throw in lots of extras in there like my D shackles, gloves, etc. I use the cargo net to strap the whole thing down in the back so it doesn't move around.

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Umberto. It all depends what you need a compressor for and how often. I run the same tire like David ( BFG 265/65/18) and most of the time go down to 30-35PSI maybe 25 PSI occasionally. Going back to "street pressure" is very fast with Viair. Without doubt ARB is faster and better but Viair is even more I need for my off roading.
Umberto made a point. If you want something very fast go with CO2 tank. Another reason for CO2 would be multiple airing up and down during a day.
David let us know what you decided on and how it works for you.
I am sorry for this stupid link to 400P I did not check before posting.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_146781-4088...or&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=compressor&facetInfo=

For $49 works like a champ. I have the Cooper Zeon tires, 19in, so nothing too big, and drop no more than 10 lbs per tire. Takes a few mins per tire to bring back to street, and I like the feature where you set the pressure on the dial and it stops automatically. Runs both on AC and DC (car accessory plug), has not blown a fuse either. Have been using it for about a year, 2-3 times per month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72