1992 County Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redrocker

Reaction score
First off, I'm back after a fairly long time. Sold my 03 Discovery SE7 and just could not live without a 4x4 so I bought a 1992 Range Rover County this week. Thought I was doing well since it was a one owner, owned by a Doctor who took care of it fairly well. In fact, he had just sunk 3300 into it for new valve cover gaskets, valve job and brakes/rotors. Problems I'm having I didn't notice until I drove it home at 70mph. It cuts out and then surges back at highway speeds. Sometimes at lesser speeds, but always when engine is under any labor or speeding up. The overheating light also flashes intermittently, but always goes off. My first inclination is to believe it may be a fuel pump or relay problem. Any thoughts? Also, I think the suspension is all original as it sways like a balloon and it also shakes for a few seconds after bumps on the road. I did order and ARB medium duty spring set with shocks from Atlantic British along with the steering stabilizer. Do you think I'm solving the problem here? What other suspension related items may need to be addressed if any assuming its all original or rather old at best?

All the best,
Chad

1992 Range Rover County
105,000 miles
Plymouth Blue
Factory brush guard and tail guards

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be Panhard rod bushings causing the shakes or swivel preload.

As far as the cutting out, I would start with fuel... not sure if the 92 has the same style VSS as the newer ones or not, if it does, then I would look at that as well.

myoldrusty92

Reaction score
I recently had a problem with my 92 doing an intermittent surge once you hit a certain rpm. after much tinkering my mechanic found it was the Mass Air Flow. You might try cleaning the screen with electrical spray cleaner.

greg

Redrocker

Reaction score
for the benefit of those following the 1992 Range Rover posts, the surging or cutting out as I called it was indeed the mass air flow. Cleaned it out and problem solved! Thanks for the replies!

Chad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is good to know. Didn't realize the 92 had a MAF. I don't see many of them, so I didn't know or I would have suggested that.

Redrocker

Reaction score
turns out the 1992 Rover of mine did need a fuel pump after all. Went for a test drive and was stranded after 10 minutes! Fuel pump is on and all is well.....except for my stereo now says "code" since the battery was disconnected. Anyone know what the code is for a 1992 RR County? Not sure if it's unique to the VIN?

Chad

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM