1996 disco immobolizer issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superderek3

Reaction score
a year and a half ago my discovery started to exhibit issues starting. I would turn the key and it would only click from the passenger foot well. I took off the panel and beat the green box a bit and then it would start. I've also had issues where the hazards turn on by themselves and wont stop, again, beat the green box till it stops. Now, the issue has progressed to the point where I cant drive it because it takes 5 minutes of box beating to get it to start.
From research online, I heard this may be a spider issue, I found instructions to bypass it online, and also looked in my LandRover electric manual (1996 model) for the location of the spider. To my surprise, there is not a spider in there, nor a harness for it. Did some US 1996 models not have the spider?
I should note, the last time I was driving the thing, a read light in the upper left of the console lit up. It looked either like a thermometer in a jagged circle, or a key in a keyhole (immobilized???) Months back I noted that my stereo was dead, and the ignition key was surrounded in red. Summary of these too lights: I took out both bulbs.

The last clue is that the central locking is now dead.

So Now what? Drop in a Chevy 350? Burn the thing down? (seriously, are there carb/magneto ignition motors that match the transmission???) Where does Lucas live?

There must be some hotshot who knows how to hotwire it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing first, does the engine crank and not start or does it do nothing?

How old is your battery?

Sounds like you have been beating your fuel pump relay to death.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635