1997 disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jscott11

Reaction score
I am new to land rover always wanted one but could never afford. I stumbled on this 97 disco that really looks and drives nice but the idle is crazy high until it is put into drive. I hired a mechanic and he replaced the entire intake he said that it had some serious vacume leaks. When I picked it up he started it up it idled a little high until it warmed up then was great. I got gas drve it to the car wash. Then the next morning it would not idle at all like it was not getting feul unless i stomped on the gas. I popped the hood and fooled with the throttle body and it started working again but the idle is far to high. it seems every time i touch the throttle body the idle changes a little. I took it back to the mechanic he said I just needed to drive it and let the computer reset everything. I dont really want to let him work on it anymore and am afraid anyone who does work on it will just rip me off. I thought maybe the throttle position sensor or idle control valve just from reading I do have a online manual but I cannot find these parts I need help. by the way I am also wondering If my alternator is functioning properly this vehicle has a small constant steady electril surge and the headlight switch is bad the running lights donot funtion I am replacing that this weekend. UPDATE I also wanted to go through the wiring scenario one more time. When I first got the rover the dash illumination lights and the right rear taillight would not work a fuse was blowing in the inside box. I replaced with a little bigger fuse then a fuse in the engine room started blowing same thing no dash illumination or right rear taillight so I figured out this problem was caused by a pigtail installed by uhaul so I had that repaired. After the repair I replaced the fuse in the engine room and I realized the dash was still not working but right rear brake and turn signal light did work but no running lights on either side. I called my mechanic and he said it had to be the switch so I changed the switch and still not working, I called the place where I got the switch he said he tested it before it left and he was sure it was good I think this is a more full explanation of what is going on.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Surge could very well be your Alternator.

IAC and TPS are both located on the drivers side of the intake. Each has a plug going into it and they both have 2 screws that hold them in. I would clean them both.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to land rover always wanted one but could never afford. I stumbled on this 97 disco that really looks and drives nice but the idle is crazy high until it is put into drive. I hired a mechanic and he replaced the entire intake he said that it had some serious vacume leaks. When I picked it up he started it up it idled a little high until it warmed up then was great. I got gas drve it to the car wash. Then the next morning it would not idle at all like it was not getting feul unless i stomped on the gas. I popped the hood and fooled with the throttle body and it started working again but the idle is far to high. it seems every time i touch the throttle body the idle changes a little. I took it back to the mechanic he said I just needed to drive it and let the computer reset everything. I dont really want to let him work on it anymore and am afraid anyone who does work on it will just rip me off. I thought maybe the throttle position sensor or idle control valve just from reading I do have a online manual but I cannot find these parts I need help. by the way I am also wondering If my alternator is functioning properly this vehicle has a small constant steady electril surge and the headlight switch is bad the running lights donot funtion I am replacing that this weekend.

There are a number of things to check here:

1.) Are you getting any codes (i.e. MIL on)?

2.) check out your MAF - I would get some MAF sensor cleaner and ake certain it is as clean as you can get it (don't forget to re-install that 'O' ring when you put the MAF back in your intake tube line and make certain your air cleaner box is sealed up ok).

3.) check fuel pressure at your valve on the fuel-rail - if low - look to your fuel filter first, your fuel reg. next, and finally fuel pump if it remains low through all tests and everything else checks out.

4.) if pressures and spark all check out - I would consider a 'Sea Foam' treatment (i.e. how long as that vehicle been sitting around and how many miles are on it)

5.) Have you checked your voltage at the battery terminals when the engine is running? If low - I would definitely suspect your alternator.

Again, the first step would be to find out if there ae any fault codes coming at you via your check engine light.

Finally, Joey - is the best at figuring out multiple SNAFU's with a 97 Disco. I own a 97 Disco too but I am just a hobbyist whereas Joey is a pro mechanic.

Wolf

PS - don't get discouraged with your Disco - most of them were leased at one time (i.e., when they were brand new) and you may well be the third or fourth owner; but I can guarantee you the lease owners put it through hell. That's what I found out with mine - so I have had to chase a lot of small abuse issues around over the last couple of years. At first I thought LR's were mechanically 'dainty' but my respect for the machine has improved, dramatically, over time once I saw the difference in performance when abused, broken and worn parts were repaired or replaced. In other words, unlike Japanese machines (i.e., when the part breaks - you stop) LR's can keep running with far from optimal parts and they will get you home, nine times out of ten, even with parts that have gone kaputsky.

jscott11

Reaction score
Changed the headlight switch still no runnig lights or dash lights sitches are good what can I do?

jscott11

Reaction score
Joey I am in columbus ohio I am feeling a little paniced about my problem with rear lights and instrument panel lights can I arrange for you to look at my truck? I have read a bunch of blogs this does not seem to be a typical problem unless both switches I have are bad?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will send you a pm...

Dragon

Reaction score
I am new to land rover always wanted one but could never afford. I stumbled on this 97 disco that really looks and drives nice but the idle is crazy high until it is put into drive. I hired a mechanic and he replaced the entire intake he said that it had some serious vacume leaks. When I picked it up he started it up it idled a little high until it warmed up then was great. I got gas drve it to the car wash. Then the next morning it would not idle at all like it was not getting feul unless i stomped on the gas. I popped the hood and fooled with the throttle body and it started working again but the idle is far to high. it seems every time i touch the throttle body the idle changes a little. I took it back to the mechanic he said I just needed to drive it and let the computer reset everything. I dont really want to let him work on it anymore and am afraid anyone who does work on it will just rip me off. I thought maybe the throttle position sensor or idle control valve just from reading I do have a online manual but I cannot find these parts I need help. by the way I am also wondering If my alternator is functioning properly this vehicle has a small constant steady electril surge and the headlight switch is bad the running lights donot funtion I am replacing that this weekend. UPDATE I also wanted to go through the wiring scenario one more time. When I first got the rover the dash illumination lights and the right rear taillight would not work a fuse was blowing in the inside box. I replaced with a little bigger fuse then a fuse in the engine room started blowing same thing no dash illumination or right rear taillight so I figured out this problem was caused by a pigtail installed by uhaul so I had that repaired. After the repair I replaced the fuse in the engine room and I realized the dash was still not working but right rear brake and turn signal light did work but no running lights on either side. I called my mechanic and he said it had to be the switch so I changed the switch and still not working, I called the place where I got the switch he said he tested it before it left and he was sure it was good I think this is a more full explanation of what is going on.

I'm having some of the same issues. My dash lights go out, sometimes the right headlight. A/C fuse under the hood goes out. The electrical stuff makes me nuts. Seems to get worse when it has rained. This sound right? Any ideas on what to check for or clean/replace? Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check all you light bulb sockets.. sounds like corrosion or short.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having some of the same issues. My dash lights go out, sometimes the right headlight. A/C fuse under the hood goes out. The electrical stuff makes me nuts. Seems to get worse when it has rained. This sound right? Any ideas on what to check for or clean/replace? Thanks

yeah - this sounds like corrosion/ground fault

brent_eagles

Reaction score
This might sound a little ridiculous, but how much stuff do you have in your glove box? I've found that if the glove box has too much stuff in it and presses on the globe box light assembly, it can cause a short as you describe. Basically right side lights, instrumentation and the door open "audible alert" all stop working. I've read somewhere that this is supposedly a common problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9