1998 RR HSE Engine Problem.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

avid

I had a rather nasty experience with my RR a few days ago and wonder if this is common. While driving home from work, I noticed that my vehicle was shaking at idle at red lights. I checked the temperature gauge and all was fine but the engine RPM was dropiing below 500. Further into the drive, I smelled coolant in the compartment and the Check Engine light started flashing. Alarmed, I pulled into a gas station and checked the oil and it was bone-dry. I had changed oil about 4 months ago and did not expect it to all go out. I was stumped that the computers or the heat gauge on dash did not indicate depleted oil or any overheating. I poured in 2 quarts of oil and started the engine and saw billowing white smoke from the exhaust fill the air, with the familiar smell of coolant. It looked terribly wrong. I drove another quarter mile to my garage and was frustrated that the computers failed to warn me of the impending engine trouble. the next morning I curiously started the car and as expected, it did what seemed like an attempt at turning over but deadened quickly. Obviously, the engine must have sustained major damage by overheating, possibly seized. Has anyone experienced such a thing with the onboard sensors failing to report lack of oil or the gauge showing an overheating engine? I am really frustrated with the vehicle at this point. This could have happened in the middle of nowhere where I often venture into. I wonder if the new RRs are any more reliable.

bigbris1

Reaction score
Wow that sucks. When I bought my 97 the seller stated that it just had oil service amongst other things. I checked the oil when I pulled into the gas station for a fill up on the way home (3 hour drive) & guess what? No oil! None.

A good habit to have is to visually check the oil at every fill up.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Had the same issue in a Pontiac a few years back.... sometimes things just to give good info... After that point I made it a point to check all the fluids at least once a week or just before a long drive.

A

avid

Thanks for the response, gents. At this point, the engine is DEAD. I am debating whether to install a $10k engine and revive the RR or cut my losses and put down for a Landcruiser and do away with all this British car quarkiness. A Toyota should be more reliable, at least. I had bad experience with a Lotus Esprit before, another British automobile and the wallet is feeling the hurt along with me.

F

fbrems

Hey avid, we are a landrover family. My wife drives an RR, me my third Disco and they all cost money, You hate the car or love them, but they ara all to British standards and Not reliable in any sence. From yesterday my Disco is again in the garage with a gearbox defect although the car has only 120.000km, already changed the steering pump, two water pumps, belt tensioner, fuel pump, and believe it or not, the fuel tank is leaking from the top so I can fill the car only 70% to avoid overflow. If you are not able to love the Rovers (which is understandable as this cars are a pain) , dump it and by a Toyota, the first time you replace parts is by 300.000km

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
10K for a engine... that is nuts, you can get a 5.2 Rover engine for almost half that with over 300 HP.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72