1999 2.5 P38 - Overheating Problem -Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nedkelly

Hello all -
I would like to hear from someone who may be able to suggest where to look next re my p38 overheating issue.
The Thermostat has been replaced and we have cleaned out a clogged Radiator - which i am told is now working to 95% of its capacity (5 pipes remain blocked).

Short distances are no problem - even recently a 300km round trip (just after work was done) - no problems.

But now, it seems that pressure builds up and coolant is expelled from the header tank - and it appears (or feels) like there is no coolant remaining in the pipes coming from the top of the radiator. As soon as the temp starts rising i stop the car - wait & ensure that there is coolant in the system - then it runs again - until once again the pressure appears to build up and once again the header tank is full / overflowing.

No cloudy oil - so i assume ( or hope) that this is not a gasket issue.

Where else can i look. This is driving me insane - I am in Spain and cant have an overheating RR during summer. Could this be an airpocket in the radiator?)
:mad::mad::mad::

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have the anti-freeze chemically tested... sounds like a blown head gasket or worse.... lets hope for the head gasket.

N

nedkelly

Car Goes Back to Mechanics 12/6

They are suggesting a faulty water pump - or the gasket. I will post the solution next monday when the car is returned - hopefully in working order!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope for your sake it is a water pump.... much cheaper.

N

nedkelly

Gasket

Yup - New water pump has not changed anything (although there were signs that the water pump was leaking). So its the gasket.....:hmpf:

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Turned out to be a bad expansion tank cap. It wasn't holding pressure, which would result in coolant shooting out of the tank when pressure would build up. US$25 did the trick. Good luck..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The tank Cap could be the issue.... again I hope so... otherwise have the system chemically tested.

N

nedkelly

Symptoms

What I don't understand is why the oil has NOT gone cloudy. I understood that if the gasket had gone then there are water deposits which can be seen on the dipstick - and / or the oil goes cloudy. Neither of which is true in my case. I have had this :mad: car for 6 weeks and it has spent most of the time getting repaired. Time to draw the line in the sand ... :stupid:

N

nedkelly

New Engine

The Land Rover Garage have suggested a new engine at €5000. Not bad seeing that i paid €10k for the car.

Dont i feel like a %^&*$% idiot.

NEVER AGAIN:mad:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What did they say was wrong?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members